PDA

View Full Version : Bosque Mule Deer

Michael Lloyd
11-15-2009, 12:21 AM
The bird population at Bosque is pretty low this year (so far). Couple that with ummm... "different" management techniques than they used last year and it made for some pretty sparse bird shooting so we concentrated on mammals for a while. Conditions were not horrible but not equivalent to last year by a long shot. Finding something close in was a challenge (including this shot). On the other hand, the coyote, mule deer, and elk population seems to be doing very well.

From this morning. About a 50% crop. He was 120 - 150 meters out so I needed all the reach I could get.

EOS 1DsMKIII manual
800mm f5.6L IS resting on my XM antenna :)

ISO 800
1/250@ f5.6

Fabs Forns
11-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Nice change of pace from birds :)
I like the landscape approach to wildlife, the deer is nice and sharp. Wonder if you could have gone more to your right to place the tree on the left of the image and add more separation from the deer. (I know this is not always possible)

Michael Lloyd
11-16-2009, 01:04 AM
This was down on the south end of Bosque Fabs. About 100 yards plus after you make the left turn. I don't think he was up in the levy when we were father back and they moved across the levy pretty quickly.

I basically did a portrait crop out of the middle of the image. So far I'm liking the 800 f5.6 on the DsMKIII. Not so much on the DMKIII but it's probably a photographer issue not a gear issue :))

This image is pretty much what we had to contend with for the days that we were at Bosque. Long distance shots... but it's always fun to be there.