Sensing Method : One-chip color area sensor
Exposure Mode : Auto exposure
White Balance : Auto white balance
Focal Length 35 : 157mm
Lens : Nikkor 105mm/ f:2,8 VR
Fill flash
HH
Aprox. 70% from original frame

Unfortunately I have forgotten to change the setting from ISO 800....

Julie Kenward
11-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Hey Adrian...I see you broke away from birds for a moment! I like what you've done here - you've managed to get a mushroom without all the typical forest floor distractions included. I do think there is way more mossy area than is really needed. You originally uploaded an 8x11 - I chopped it to an 8x10 and shrunk the size a bit more and I feel it gives a little better ratio of shroom-to-moss.

I also opened up levels and hit "auto" and it tweaked it just a bit - opening up the high and midtones just a little more.

My one suggestion would be to open up a little wider next time and get less detail in the BG (although, as far as BG's go this one isn't bad.) Still, I find myself looking at the moss instead the fungi part of the time just because there is so much detail there.

Christopher Miller
11-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Very nice, Adrian. I like the idea of a mossy BG. Fully agree with Julie's suggestions.

Adrian David
11-15-2009, 06:04 AM
Hey Adrian...I see you broke away from birds for a moment! I like what you've done here - you've managed to get a mushroom without all the typical forest floor distractions included. I do think there is way more mossy area than is really needed. You originally uploaded an 8x11 - I chopped it to an 8x10 and shrunk the size a bit more and I feel it gives a little better ratio of shroom-to-moss.

I also opened up levels and hit "auto" and it tweaked it just a bit - opening up the high and midtones just a little more.

My one suggestion would be to open up a little wider next time and get less detail in the BG (although, as far as BG's go this one isn't bad.) Still, I find myself looking at the moss instead the fungi part of the time just because there is so much detail there.

Thank you Julie for the re-post! Looking good! I didn't broke away from birds.....look here http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49745 :) I agree that I have no fresh birds Photos...:o

I have tried a different approach on the image, trying to keep the natural look...I am always struggling achieving
the best DOF on the main subject, but in this case, the moss from the BG was very close to the subject...Next time I will try a little wider aperture, too.
Here is my re-post. Please tell me what you think...

Stu Bowie
11-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Adrian, your mushroom has a great 3D effect, and your repost works so much better.

Julie Kenward
11-15-2009, 12:48 PM
I agree - excellent repost! Now it really takes center stage but you still see the environment clearly. Nice work!

Adrian David
11-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Thank you very much, Julie!

Mike Moats
11-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Hey Adrain, this has a really nice 3D look, lot of depth. Agree with a crop of the top.

Anita Bower
11-16-2009, 05:54 PM
I like the angle you chose for this mushroom--showing some of the underside. Others have commented on the BG and the extra room at the top.

Adrian David
11-17-2009, 02:44 AM
Thank you very much, to all of you!