PDA

View Full Version : Dewy Rose

Charles Wesley
11-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Here's a rose portrait I made a while back. Was breaking in a new lens and TC. Tried for a pleasing color combination.

Canon EOS- 1D, EF 100- 400 mm. f4.5- 5.6 IS, Canon 1.4 TC, 550 EX flash and tripod. Used probably f/8.0 to f/11.0 in D.O.F. The ISO was most likely 400.

Not sure about the saturation on this photo. Did make use PS to increase it. What do you think?

D.P.P.
CS/ PS4
FocalBlade

Julie Kenward
11-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Charles, the colors are beautiful - I think the saturation level is fine where it is. The front petals appear to be softer and less in focus than the back petals. Do you remember if you were aiming for a center focal point? I'm kind of surprised that f8 or f11 didn't get those front petals more in focus for you.

I'm sure it's the jpeg upload but you seem to have some artifacts running right around the entire ridge of the rose where it meets up with the green BG.

Charles Wesley
11-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Jules,

Can't remember where my focus was. This is a six year old image. Noticed the artifacts after opening in bridge from the CD-R. Really ticks me off. I've noticed this from my CD collection of photos.

What do you know of the archival nature of CD's. I'm very concerned since I started seeing this. Even noticed it with Kodak PhotoCDs from 1992 & 1993 when I started working with scanned images and PS 3.

Please get back with me if you can help. Tried some PS techniques but they didn't help much with the artifacts....

Julie Kenward
11-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Charles, I really don't have any photos on old CD's but this would be a great question for the Digital Workflow forum. Why don't you pose the question there and see what the BPN'ers come up with?

Dave Phillips
11-14-2009, 08:00 PM
beautiful image....the artifacting looks like sharpening residue from doing some
selective sharpening just a bit inaccurately. May be wrong, but that is what it
looks like at 200%.

You may have been viewing older 90's images originally on CRT and and this
could likely have been camouflaged. Newer calibrated LCD's are extremely unforgiving

Christopher Miller
11-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Hi Charles, Beautiful colors. Like the water drops. Agree with Julie on the front petals, would be nice if they were in focus.

Charles Wesley
11-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Jules, Dave & Christopher,

Thanks for your comments. I will reopen this image at 200% like Dave suggested. I was using a CRT then and the artifacts may have gotten by me. Jules I will send it to the digital workflow forum tomorrow.

Anita Bower
11-16-2009, 05:49 PM
The red against that clean green BG is stunning!

Dave Phillips
11-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi Charles....a quick repost only because I forgot that I had it and was cleaning up.
May or may not be worthwhile, but took out a little yellow and
adjusted levels and sat a bit.......for better highlight and midtone definition, esp along petal edges

Charles Wesley
11-16-2009, 06:44 PM
I got several responses from the Digital Workflow Forum. The problem is not from my old CD-R's. A corrupt file would not open on one's computer. Somewhere in my workflow years ago, I was doing something that caused these artifacts. Unfortunately, the lack of proper technique has messed this image up.

Don't you do it...

Charles Wesley
11-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the help. I see what you did. Unfortunately, the area between the green BG and the outer petals of this rose has artifacts. They can easily be seen at 200% with the zoom tool. It would take along time to clone them out IMO.

Really appreciate your help. Need to find the original file on this one.