PDA

View Full Version : Southern Marbled Gecko

edward saltau
02-14-2008, 07:38 PM
This is my first post in the macro forum so go easy! If i had to critique this photo i would say get rid of the leaf in front and add more DOF. It's probably taken at somewhere near 1X mag. I've never been that close so i thought i had enough DOF but was way off. I'd have stopped down and taken some more but this little guy jumped a millisecond after i took this photo. I actually thought he jumped before it so i was delighted to have any photos at all!
canon 40D, canon 100mm 2.8 macro
1/30th at f5.6 +2/3 exp comp.
ISO 400

Alfred Forns
02-14-2008, 08:02 PM
HI Edward Agree with your assessments The one thing that bothers me the most is the oof leaf Usually oof leafs in front don't work well Somewhere on the back of the frame they usually pass Point of focus is on the back of the head

You were real close on this one Got the exposure right and did a good job of framing with an interesting position btw the looking away does not bother me at all Sometimes is good as to make you wonder what is outside the frame !!!!! Looking forward to more !!!

Robert O'Toole
02-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi Edward, I like the image but you are correct the bright leaf in the FG is distracting. Superb light quality and great detail and the subject is very cool.
Look forward to seeing more.

Robert

Jeroen Stel
02-15-2008, 02:48 AM
Hi Edward!

Welcome to BPN-Macro!
I have to say the OOF leave do not bother me that much (besides the fact that they are catching too much light). The thing wich does matter to me is that this beautiful Gecko is looking the other way...
I always have one rule in my photography and that is to have an animal looking my way because that is what a viewer will look at first in a photograph.

Besides that i think you have captured a wonderful specimen and i hop to see much more of your work in the near future!

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel