PDA

View Full Version : Soaring eagle over the Kenai mountains

Travis Novitsky
02-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Image captured in Homer, Alaska.....March 2007. Overcast day, using a Canon 20D and EF 300mm f4 L IS lens. Shutter speed 1/500, aperture f5.6, ISO 400. Exposure compensation -2/3, no flash. Pretty much a full-frame iimage, with a very slight crop off the bottom. I did add a little space to the top of the image, as the wing tip was right at the top edge of the image.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Great pose, fanned tail and open beak. I would prefer more space top and bottom. How did you sharpen this image? The edges look very pixelated and it seems something is missing on the upper part of the bird's left wing.

Travis Novitsky
02-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi Axel, thanks for looking. After uploading I was wondering if I had taken it a bit too far with sharpening. More space can be easily added to the top, and this was cropped on the bottom somewhat so there is a bit more space to work with there. That wing has always puzzled me, too.....I wonder if it was broken off somehow? That's how it looks in the original shot.....I haven't done anything to it. That's the thing that bothers me the most about this image.....

Thanks for your input!

Arthur Morris
02-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Ditto Axel and yes, way-oversharpened. In an ideal world the bird would have been placed a bit farther back in the frame. Great light on underwings, but the head is facing slightly away from you.

later and love, artie

Fabs Forns
02-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Yes, overshapened and needing a bit more room. Great background and exposure.