PDA

View Full Version : Bialowieza primeval forest

Jerry van Dijk
11-13-2009, 03:07 PM
This was taken last summer in the strict reserve of Bialowieza primeval forest National Park, Poland. Supposedly the last remaining undisturbed forest in Europe and stronghold of the European bison.
Panasonic DMC-FZ18, handheld, 5 mm (28 mm eq.), ISO-200, F/4.5, 1/20 sec, EC -0.3, pattern metering, aperture priority, RAW.
RAW processing in Silkypix, PP in Corel Photopaint. Minor tweaks on exposure, levels and sharpness.

C&C welcome!

Morkel Erasmus
11-13-2009, 05:01 PM
lovely rich colours and great use of the fallen log as leading line Jerry.
if it was mine I would maybe take a little bit off the bottom.

Roman Kurywczak
11-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi Jerry,
These are very difficult to pull off but I think you did very well. I don't like the trees on the left as much but Morkel's recommended crop does strengthen this as does a similar crop off the top. Don't get me wrong....I do also like the op and the texture of the greens. Nicely handled and very good job composing a difficult scene!

Dave Mills
11-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Hi Jerry, Agree with Roman regarding the difficulty factor. I would be more inclined to take some off the top rather than cut the leading line off the bottom.

john jackson
11-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Inside forests are difficult scenes to capture and I like all the elements here. Possibly cropping a sliver off the top may make it even better, but for me not from the bottom as that would risk losing the fern under the fallen tree. Great use of the depth of focus that smaller sensors provide.

Looking at this I think I can hear a woodpecker drumming...

Robert Amoruso
11-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Jerry,

All good comments above. I will give you my interpretation in this repost.

Lower contrast using reverse s-curve (my tutorial here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434)
Desaturated image overall.
Added 3 points of color to the black, neutral and white channels in Selective Color.

Below this post I tried a tighter crop. Chnages in the image are subtle and not always obvious here - when I toggle back and forth on my computer in PS I can see the difference. Give it a try.

Good use of the tree as a leading line but I find the greens a bit oversaturated and the contrast too high, hence the PS recommendations.

Nice work and looking forward to seeing more.

Robert Amoruso
11-14-2009, 07:10 AM
The recrop.

Jerry van Dijk
11-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks for all your comments, which were really helpful to look at this one with other eyes. Robert, you worked wonders on those colors and contrasts. Going back to the RAW image and following your advice (I'll have a look at your tutorial) might even bring out more details. I have to add that it was really that green. It's a magical place.
Do agree about the cropping, but think that Robert's version is a little too tight. After contemplating the image for a while, I decided that the problem with the trees on the left that are bothering Roman are the bright leaves at the top, which I removed with the crop shown below. This crop also allowed me to place the vertical branch of the dead tree in the UR ROT hotspot, adding to the composition. Additionally I cloned out those two distracting bright spots in the BG.
Also followed Morkels advice and removed just a little from the bottom.
Overall, the image has improved a lot, I think. Thanks again for your help!

Robert Amoruso
11-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Jerry,

I like how it turned out but I would include less cropping on the right so as not to have an edge intersection with the tree. My first crop before I went with the one I posted was like yours with the right edge as in the OP.

Jerry van Dijk
11-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks Robert, I'll have another look at it.

Declan Troy
11-15-2009, 01:40 PM
I've read many a research paper that took place in the Bialowieza primeval forest but this image goes a long way to capturing the essence of the area than most written descriptions. A picture is worth > 1000 words.

Jerry van Dijk
11-16-2009, 06:43 AM
Hi Declan, thanks for the compliment. I must admit that my expectations were high because of the large body of scientific literature about the place, but it met all of them. We were also there for scientific research, this time regarding forest rejuvenation, so we hope to add one more paper in the near future.

Grady Weed
11-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Roberts post and suggestions bring this one over the top. You need to hang this one on the wall. I have always wanted one like this. The fallen tree covered in lichen and the deep green are key elements to this winning image.

Jerry van Dijk
11-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks Grady!