PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Yellow-Legs JBWR

Nicki Gwynn Jones
11-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Hi Everyone!
Here is one that I liked from Artie's IPT on Long Island this summer. I do seem to remember that I was lying face down in goose poo whilst waiting for this shot...:eek:
50D 500 f/4 + 1.4 TC
f/5.6 1/1000 sec
ISO 400
Exp comp @ +.7
Nothing other than the usual in PP - pretty much full frame.
BTW this did really well in a Camera Club competition last night - wonders will never cease - judges usually hate my stuff...:D
Thanks so much for your comments and critiques.
Best regards to all,
Nicki

Jim Fenton
11-13-2009, 02:50 PM
I laughed when you mentioned laying in the goose poop :)

Nice head angle and I think they eye could be reworked to sharpen it and bring out the catch light.

Overall, the image looks too hot / too high of a gamma to my eyes.

The OOF foreground detracts as it's so high into the image and comes so close to the legs. Also, the OOF foreground is slanted up to the left while the OOF background is slanted down to the left, sort of leaving an angled wedge of in focus area.

Keith Bauer
11-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi Nicki:
Face down in goose poo..... What photographers won't do to get a shot:)

I too think the shot overall looks a bit hot. My first reaction was the OOF foreground element really pulls my eye away from the subject.

Kristin Brown
11-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Hey Nicki,
Indeed Keith! Even brave wallet snakes don't we???
I like the subject and pose a lot! I too think the foreground distracts from the image. Also, maybe a bit more contrast?

john jackson
11-13-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm a sucker for the over-the-shoulder pose. I agree with Jim that this is a bit high-key (on my screen at least). Perhaps reducing the exposure might also bring some more colour into the legs. Not sure if there is anything that can be done about the foreground, so why worry? Nice.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
11-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Hi Jim, Keith, Kristin and John and thanks so much for your comments and suggestions.
Actually, as I posted this I thought how much better this looks as a print. It looks very pretty on fine art paper and I feel that the computer screen does not do it justice. It never ceases to amaze me how completely different images can look depending on the presentation.
Did someone say wallet snakes??? Well that brings back some sweet memories :D:eek:
Best to all,
Nicki

Harshad Barve
11-13-2009, 08:42 PM
lovely pose , techs looks spot on here , I liked this very much as posted
TFS

Kiran Poonacha
11-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Loved the image, I think its need a bit more contrast, nice HA, angle and light.. congrats..

Nicki Gwynn Jones
11-14-2009, 04:15 AM
Hi Harshad and Kiran and thank you very much for your kind words!
Best,
Nicki