PDA

View Full Version : Upper antelope canyon, Arizona

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-13-2009, 11:29 AM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/2397235-lg.jpg

This is from 2004. Thats my wife. Canon eos elan 7e. 28-105. tripod. Fuji Velvia 50. As usual, the dynamic range is better in slide than in the scan. Not much PP done. But the whites are toasted there as well. famous velvia contrast. Would love to go back and do the same shot with 40D in RAW.

All comments appreciated.

Dave Mills
11-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Hi Kastubh, You framed the image very well. Your dealing with exposure at the extremes.With film you needed to bracket this and hope for a usable average image. Knowing how intense the bright light was it would have been very difficult getting the detail in the sand and wife without blocking the upper canyon walls.(Possibly reversing a gradual neut density filter might have worked)

Roman Kurywczak
11-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi Kaustubh,
Definitely impressive with film....as Dave mentioned to get the dark areas with velvia was almost impossible considering the bright rays. Saying that I feel you used the dark areas very well and composed very nicely and placed your wife and the rays very well in the frame! Nicely done!

Ramesh Adkoli
11-14-2009, 08:32 AM
This is an amazing place and you have captured the mood very nicely. I liked the tonal range too. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Robert Amoruso
11-14-2009, 11:20 AM
KD,

As mentioned you explored the possibilities well here but I want to offer a different interpretation.

Nice addition of your wife.

Curves Correction - reverse s-curve (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24075) to open up shadows and tone contrast.

Quick mask selection on your wife and then another reverse s-curve to reduce contrast there.

Dodge Tool on left side and top to open up shadows. This can be done to taste or not at all. Just figured I try it out.

Some color fringing became evident but correctable in PS on the tiff file.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Kaustubh,
Nicely done. I like the concept. Am not sure whether you could have used some reflectors there. Also, wondering whether a GND would have helped in controlling the burnt areas partly. The place is worth visiting and giving a try in digital.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks a lot everyone.