PDA

View Full Version : BC, Canada Fall Landscape

Jamie Douglas
11-13-2009, 01:12 AM
I took this two years ago on a trip across Canada. It was taken at a roadside parking spot and was a handheld shot.

I was looking at a scene on the left and then my attention diverted to the scene in front of me.

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
ISO 100 F5.6 @ 1/80Sec. 18.0 mm

Dave Mills
11-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi Jamie, Nice soft light with good color on the trees. I like the inclusion of rocks in the foreground which add to the overall. I thought about cropping part of the sky but realised if you did most of the sky would be white so I wouldn't suggest that...pleasing image!

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-13-2009, 11:33 AM
HI....I liked the pano crop. You live in a fabulous location. Sligt underexposure might help this one IMO. And you can try some sharpening too.

KD

Roman Kurywczak
11-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi Jamie,
I like the scene although I may prefer it w/o the FG rocks to even more of a pano but it does appear that the whites are toasted......did you shoot this RAW? I so you may want to reprocess this for the whites as I tried recovering them but a good portion of them I couldn't get back. This is a good case for the split ND filter......it would have tamed the sky and especially the clouds to help bring the entire scene more into tonal range. As is you may want to try and recover some of the highlights with a reverse s-curve to knock down some of the contrast and then recovering some of the highlights in shadow/highlights. If you do re-work it let us know how it went.

Jamie Douglas
11-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Roman: Let me see what I can do in photoshop over the weekend.

Robert Amoruso
11-14-2009, 11:29 AM
I can see why you like this Jamie. Nicely composed for the trees and BG. Diagonal slopes of the mountains and the shore is a mild "V" shape adding interest. The FG rocks are neither large enough nor placed in a good location to add interest so I suggest a crop of most of the water.

After getting it into PS so I could test my recommendations, I posted what I came up with. The sky is getting pixelated here but you should have better luck in the TIFF conversion. I would suggest going back to the conversion and getting the whites not to clip before the conversion.

Curves Correction - reverse s-curve (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24075) to open up shadows and tone contrast.

Shadow/Highlight Correction to open up shadows more and bring down the white clouds.

Jamie Douglas
11-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Robert, thanks for going to the effort of preparing a repost. I am in two minds about the FG, I like the rocks because they give depth to the scene but at the same time I like what you did by cropping the FG but still kept the scene intact. Let me use the links you posted to get to grips with the S curve etc and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again to all the folks who provide C&C and go the extra by posting great tutorials.

Jamie

Katherine Enns
11-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Hi Jamie, I have to say I like the original better than the crop. Where is this, Princeton? I think it must be the interior somewhere at about 500 meters elevation, on a river, but I dont recognize it.

Jamie Douglas
11-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks Katherine. It's up on the 16 north of Kamploops, around North Thompson I think. I was on the same road last christmas time on a drive up to edmonton and found the same spot (its a stop on the side of the road) but it was in thick fog which was a shame because it would have been to see the same view during the winter.