PDA

View Full Version : Bosque Sunset

Kerry Perkins
11-12-2009, 10:59 PM
From my first day at Bosque Del Apache. I found this western view while driving the tour loop and came back for the sunset. I think this is my first post to landscape...

50D, EF28-135mm@50mm
Manual mode, f/8@1/400 ISO 100 WB 5100K
AI Servo autofocus, tripod

Nick Palmieri
11-13-2009, 08:12 AM
The colors are very nice I like the reflection of the clouds in the FG. I think I would remove the bird near the sun. I.m not sure of there is much interest to the left of the tree but I will let the moderators comment on that.

Dave Mills
11-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi Kerry, Nice to see you over here. Your image has beautiful light caught at a great time of day. Your center of interest is the bright area on the right which is probably an area I would have concentrated more attention. The tree on the left is acting as an anchor and I'm in agreement with Nick about cropping some off the left up to the tree. I might also take a bit off the bottom. See what others have to say....

Roman Kurywczak
11-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Hey Kerry,
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you are having fun on the trip! This is a tough exposure even inthe best of circumstances.....getting the sun correct is tough enough and even with the split ND filter.....often leaves the darker areas too detailless. I like that you were looking for silhouettes because in these cases that is what usually works best. Did you expose this just to the right of the sun/brightest area? That usually works well and is something to keep in mind for in the field. I like that you went pano but I am leaning with Dave that going with the longer lens and concentrating on that area may have been the way to go as the tree is merging too much with the hillside and isn't getting enough seperation. You get some great sunsets in NM so if you are going to be there longer just a few things for you to keep in mind.