PDA

View Full Version : Osprey with 2 chicks on nest

Grady Weed
02-14-2008, 06:04 PM
This is from Flamingo at the glades. The nest is on a pole behind the store and across the bridge. A ranger let us cross over the chain. The severe angle is non avioidable. Water behind me and gators in front, literally. She would not look at me when the babies did. She kept a look out for poppa with his fish dinner. I do have one with her looking right at me, only one baby however is visible. Will post later.

From 30 feet up and 20 feet away, give or take. On tripod. Does it work for you?

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time 1/27/2008, Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/1000Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F11, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation -1/3, ISO 400, Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x, Focal Length 600.0 mm.

susanschermer
02-14-2008, 06:37 PM
The harshness of the light makes for a very contrasty image. You might try some shadow/highlight and some dodging on the chicks.
Also the angle of the osprey's head looking away detracts somewhat from this image. Nice try on a difficult subject.

Alfred Forns
02-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Hi Grady I feel you made the best possible image from your location Big plus seeing the babies For that nest the best thing is to wait out the parents returning with food !!!! Glad they let you get on the other side for a better angle !!!

George DeCamp
02-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Hey Grady!

Ospreys in a nest is always a tough shot. If only they would build those things where we could photograph them easier! ;)
Love he little guys, bummer about the parent facing away. Agree with Al, you did pretty well for what you had to deal with here.

Fabs Forns
02-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Patience, Grady, patience. I'm sure, eventually, he'd given you the most wanted head turn ;)