PDA

View Full Version : Park Ave. Star Trails

Roman Kurywczak
02-14-2008, 05:55 PM
A different night view. Taken in Arches NP using a Canon Mark lll at ISO 400, f4.5, for 1 hour. Painted (time not recorded) the rocks with flashlight for a portion of the exposure. This area is huge! One side is always darker than the other here. IMO lighting looks pretty natural. Pretty happy with results.
Comments always appreciated.
Roman

Small Group Photo Tours
www.roaminwithroman.com (http://www.roaminwithroman.com)

Travis Novitsky
02-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Huh.....I was just commenting on your other one (Balanced Rock), then I come back to the page and see this one posted! This is fantastic, Roman! The lighting does look fairly natural.....however you have significant foreground interest here and I think this would have been a fantastic image without any light painting as well. Isn't it fun shooting at night? I know I love it..... keep up the good work!

Robert Amoruso
02-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Very impressive. II would be interested in how this looks w/o light painting. I would also be interested in knowing if anyone thinks the north star should be in a power point (ROT). I can only guess that it is pretty hard to compose something like this.

What lens did you use Roman?

I like the shape of the canyon with the balance of the rocks heavier on the left and the opening between the rock walls on the right.

Roman Kurywczak
02-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Hi Robert,
Sorry I forgot the lens......Canon 17-40mmm lens set @ 17mm. I do have the shot without painting. Surprisingly enough.......not very much different except a little overall darker on the monoliths. As it was getting later in the evening, 4am, the horizon on that shot was much lighter. I will try this at another time earlier in the evening.
Roman

Small Group Photo Tours
www.roaminwithroman.com

Travis Novitsky
02-14-2008, 07:32 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Robert.....about having the whole composition shifted upwards a little bit, putting the north star in a rule-of-thirds position. This would also give us more insight into further rotation of those stars. As it is its a powerful composition, but I feel it would be even stronger if it were shifted upwards a little.

Paul Marcellini
02-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Very beautifully done. I think comp is great. Power points seem to be a big thing on this board. Oh well. At 17 mm, with nothing wider, putting the north star at a power point would lose valuable anchoring of the foreground. Again, well done.

Judd Patterson
02-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Roman, this is absolutely stunning! I love everything here from the lit rocks to the placement of Polaris. You did a very nice job and had a great camera for accomplishing this feat in a single image. Very well done, and please get some rest now that you are back home!! :)

Keith Kennedy
02-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Roman, simply a stunning image! Your creativity and hard work really paid off. Thanks for sharing.

Keith

Jason Hahn
02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
This one gets a wow from me, perfectly executed and composed. Personally I would not shift the north star, I agree with Paul in that I wouldn't want to see any of that great foreground anchoring the image get lost. Well done!.

Jason

Robert Amoruso
02-15-2008, 07:54 AM
I agree with not shifting the lens up to get the north star ROT positioning. I was thinking a bit more wide a view to accomplish it.

No matter how you cut it, an impressive image. Well done.

Blake Shadle
02-15-2008, 10:32 AM
My eyes were locked on this one for quite some time. Absolutely outstanding work. The painting of the rocks looks natural, and I like the placement of the north star.