PDA

View Full Version : Scillus

Katherine Enns
11-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi all of you! Here is an example of hand held shooting following hip replacement! No bending so must shoot from...well, ...the hip! This was again, Canon Reb Xsi, f/13, 1/320 s, ISO 200 using 24-105@ 105mm (natch, no choice).

Have I over processed this? I think some may dissaprove of the little fragment of stem sticking out. This is a very early flowering in March plant in my garden, about 1 week post op! Comments, please!

Desmond Chan
11-12-2009, 11:22 PM
I think I would darken the background more. Some part of the petals seem to be over but the light you were dealing with doesn't look ideal, too. Sharpness and details look fine though. Composition-wise I would consider removing the flower on the right and in the background. The reason being part of that flower is clipped and somehow I find that not a good thing :)

Thanks for sharing !

Julie Kenward
11-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Katherine, it's good to hear you are doing well! May your continued recovery be swift and painless.

This is really quite a mixed bag of lighting, isn't it? I'll bet that's what attracted you to the image in the first place. I've become reluctant to photograph flowers in this harsh/dark lighting mix because they always seem to come out blown in places and too dark in others. There's a chance that fill flash would have helped or even the use of a few reflectors. I probably would have underexposed for the brightest areas and then tried to recover some of the darkness in a shadow/highlight adjustment. As is, it feels awfully harsh to me but you may still be able to bring it along some more in pp.

Katherine Enns
11-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks Desmond good comments willtry this.

Julie, I have to thank you for your kind words re THR, and also your kindness in gently suggesting some caution in approaching this lighting situation. Your are absolutely right about the attraction of this kind of lighting. Some one else, here, mentioned using a low f stop as well, I shoould probably go back to the details tab and ease off a little on the sharpening. This is where the harshness is coming from. I have no mouse on this portable computer, and I have to tie my fingures in knots! I also have to learn to use quickmask.