PDA

View Full Version : Common Murre

Brad Manchas
11-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Off the coast of the PNW there has been a algea bloom whose by-products strip the oil from the feathers of diving seabirds. This is apparently a natural circumstance, with no direct attributable human cause. As a result at least several thousands of birds have died. Those most impacted by this has been Scoters, Murres, Grebes and Loons.

This Murre was a victim of this bloom, finding it on a beach is rare. My hope was that it was able to survive, I contacted a wildlife rescue association which did respond and collect the bird.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Bradklr/OctCommonMurre.jpg

Randy Stout
11-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Brad:
thanks for the information and photo. Very sad. I would think it particularly devastating for birds like loons that can't survive on land. I don't know the habits of the other birds you mentioned, but it has to be very hard on the all.

Randy

Tony Whitehead
11-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Nice sharp record of a sad situation - definitely looks the worse for wear.

Kiran Poonacha
11-12-2009, 05:37 AM
the sad mood is captured well here, good datails, sad story indeed..

denise ippolito
11-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Very sad image and thankyou for the information. I hope something can be done to reverse the effect of the algae bloom in the future. Your image tells a sad story very well. Nice details and angle of capture.

Axel Hildebrandt
11-12-2009, 08:53 AM
The bird looks quite weakened. I'm glad you were able to get proper care for him. Is the algae bloom due to rising water temperatures or something else?

Brad Manchas
11-12-2009, 06:47 PM
The bird looks quite weakened. I'm glad you were able to get proper care for him. Is the algae bloom due to rising water temperatures or something else?

As I understand it rising water temps may have something to do with it as well as these particular algea is usually found much further out. Things are changing though here with the warmer waters in a local harbor the same weekend I watched a giant Humboldt Squid take a salmon of about 4lb's. This squid was about 4 to 5' in length and the body was at least 10-12" through, all but basking on the surface mid day eating the fish. Strange sight.