PDA

View Full Version : Fun With Alan

Arthur Morris
11-11-2009, 07:08 PM
My right-hand man Jim Litzenburg picked up Alan Murphy at the airport late Tuesday afternoon. Today with met with the designer of Alan's "Guide to Songbird Set-Up Photography." We had hoped to get out on the Hooptie Deux with James Shadle tomorrow morning but the weather forecast called for high winds so that plan was nixed. Alan and I visited some local woods without much luck until we ran into a responsive Northern Flicker.

The image above was created with the Canon 800mm f/5.6 L IS lens, the 1.4X II TC, and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 1250. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/125 sec. at f/8 (wide open) in Manual mode.

Alan was amazed at how cooperative the bird was as we were not in a blind and were not covered up.

Best news of the day? The book is on the way to the CD manufacturer and will will begin shipping them well in advance of the holidays. Thanks to all who have ordered one and congrats to the first 500 who saved $10!

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Harshad Barve
11-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Guruji
That is a beautiful pose offered by such a beautiful bird,
techs spot on as usual and killer BG
It is always amazing feel to see your compos
TFS

Duane Noblick
11-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Responsive as was it called in?

Love the perch, HA, soft, smooth BG and sharpness.

Arthur Morris
11-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Responsive as was it called in?

Love the perch, HA, soft, smooth BG and sharpness.

Thanks. And yes, audio. (Sorry for the brain-lapse omission.)

Joe Senzatimore
11-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Very rare for these to be so easy to get close to. Almost impossible here. Congrats on a fine image.

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Look at that BG! just love it!

Good thing this bird was cooperative and allowed you to make this stunning image. That 800 lens rocks!

Aidan Briggs
11-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Hey Artie, I love the exposure, HA, and BG. Tack sharp too. IMO the image is a bit on the cool side. Maybe a warming filter (81) at 10% or so? It could just be me.

Looking forward to more!

Kiran Poonacha
11-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Wow Guru, looks like a painting.. too cool this bird is, nice colours acheived, nice pose and a very complimenting BG.. congrats..

caseyargall
11-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Wow great shot, very sharp, love the BG too.

Rohan Kamath
11-12-2009, 06:25 AM
absolutely loved the species...very beautiful bird.. Pretty perfect Image in every aspect so nothing to say except Congrats sir... :D

-Cheers,
Rohan

Arthur Morris
11-12-2009, 06:51 AM
Hey Artie, I love the exposure, HA, and BG. Tack sharp too. IMO the image is a bit on the cool side. Maybe a warming filter (81) at 10% or so? It could just be me. Looking forward to more!

Thanks Aidan, Congrats on your recent contest success. Have you posted your image and the contest details?

I applied a 10% warming Photo Filter as you suggested for the re-post.

Mital Patel
11-12-2009, 07:16 AM
GURU JI
wouldn't say a single word on comment critique or anything as not even looking for tech and details of image.
Thoroughly enjoying this beautiful bird and its pose. cant see anything else .....

Axel Hildebrandt
11-12-2009, 08:58 AM
I like the curious pose, soft light and particularly the complementing BG. The warmer version looks better on my monitor, and I would run NR on the BG.

Glenda Simmons
11-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Wow! The pose is perfect. Just a beautiful all around image. I had a Flicker behind my property, last week, a fairly good distance from him...but no way would he allow me to get close enough with my 100-400 to even try to photograph him. Beautiful bird! Would love to see what Alan captured.

Adrian David
11-12-2009, 02:29 PM
What a beauty! Excellent pose, details, and BG. I like the second post better...Everything in this Photo is at superlative!!!

RakeshDhareshwar
11-13-2009, 05:10 AM
Wow image. perfect in every sense ...made surreal with the 10% warming on the repost :) .

Fernando Cerra
11-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Artie, I like the repost even better but it is just a matter of personal taste.

Fernando C.

Aidan Briggs
11-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey Artie, sorry it took a while to respond, no I haven't posted any thing about that yet. I am planning to do that soon though. Have fun in San Diego!