PDA

View Full Version : Lamar valley, Yellowstone in evening light

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-11-2009, 04:06 PM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3482719-lg.jpg

I shot this one on a georgeous evening in May 2005. Canon elan7e. velvia. canon 28-105. As usual, original slide is much better than the soft copy. Other than minor contrast and sharpening work, I haven't done much pp on the scan.

I had submitted this photo in National Wildlife Magazine's flickr pool. It was selected as one of the 6 finalists amongst 900 images. Unfortunately, in the voting round it lost. Here's the link:

http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/article.cfm?issueID=131&articleId=1786#pc4

At that time, the highlight of the evening was not this one:-) We got to see wolves and grizzlies.

KD

David Thomasson
11-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Beautiful. The alternating areas of light and shadow are spectacular. I also like the warm foreground/cool background.

You probably couldn't have done this for the competition, but if I were keeping this, I would clone out the smaller objects that attract
attention but don't add to the composition.

Animated gif ....

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/818/mountains.gif

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-11-2009, 05:55 PM
David, this animated thing is quite cool. thx for sharing

KD

Robert Amoruso
11-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Kaustubh,

Very strong compositionally. I reposted the same image with a Rule of Thirds grid added to show others how your image's layers from bright FG to dark middle ground to mountian/cloud BG fit the ROT so well. Also your road acts as a strong leading line, a diagonal one at that, into the image.

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Thx a lot Robert.

KD

Dave Mills
11-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi Kaustubh, I like how Daves removal of some objects helped strengthen an already strong image. As Robert so adeptly pointed out how your comp falls right into the ROT. The lighting is wonderful along with your managing to pull detail out of the heavily shaded areas. Well composed and nicely handled....

Ramesh Adkoli
11-12-2009, 05:06 AM
Kaustubh, this is a fantastic image! Picture perfect scene and great handling photographically. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-12-2009, 10:05 AM
The slide has much better dynamic range but I must say the lab did a very good job in scanning this one. Usually I hate slide scans :-) and most of my landscape shots are slides.

Thx everyone.

KD

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-12-2009, 10:07 AM
And one more thumbs up to Lamar Valley. I know a lot of people who go to Yellowstone but skip Lamar valley as in a corner. IMO, that is the best part of Ystone.

KD

Roman Kurywczak
11-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Hi Kaustubh,
Very well done as mentioned above and adding that it is a slide scan is even more impressive.....mine are mostly slides too so I know how challenging it can be!
I want to stress to others who visit this image......the light, the light, the light!
Very nicely done!

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Yes...the light was great...really really great. And the dry mist-free air up there lets you catch details on those mountains. Lucky to have clouds where they were and the sun where it was.

self critique: One thing I really liked( and frankly something that I was not aware of when shooting) is the placement of the trees. Not only is their separation just right, they are placed exactly below the cliffs. All I was doing while composing was getting the road diagonally in :-) Rest of the things just fell in place. 'Nature's painting' you can say. Infact, we had stopped the car because some folks were watching grizzlies by scopes. There was a line for the scopes and I was wandering about waiting my turn.

One thing I dont like is the lack of clean lower edge. Those grasses getting clipped is a negative IMO.

KD

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Stunning landscape. David's repost is simple but very effective. It's a pity this image did not win. May be next time.

Morkel Erasmus
11-13-2009, 11:43 AM
gorgeous light and I like how Robert has pointed out the strong composition. pity it didn't win...