PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned plow Kilpoola Grassland Park BC

Katherine Enns
11-11-2009, 11:31 AM
I do hope some of you like this image I come from a very old (by Canada standards) ranching family and ranching in the mountains, well, lets just say there is a good reason this is called Kilpoola National Grasslands Park not far from the US border at Osoyoos, BC. I took this image this spring, ealy in the morning. Which is to say grassland lighting is pretty fierce even at 6 AM. Comments welcome. The background is faded, sorry. I cant seem to get the sharpening feature in PS to turn grey for me at 100% dont know what I am doing wrong. This combination of lens and cam is the only thing i photograph most of the time; Canon Rebel Xsi
f/14
1/125 sec
ISO 200
24-105@ 28

Trevor Hughes
11-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi Kat,
I love these old farming implements, there is a real sense of how hard life was for people living off the land. A far cry from the modern mechanisation!
Its always difficult to gauge sharpness on a laptop screen, so although some areas seem to lack definition, I suspect its my screen, rather than the photo. It does seem a little bright to me and perhaps a bit more contrast? I'd also like to see more of the plough, so can you go back with a pair of shears and remove some of those dead grass stems? :)
A memorable and thought provoking image. Who knows how much longer these relics of our past will stay around?
Thanks for sharing.

Roman Kurywczak
11-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Hi Kat,
First....comp....I too find these interesting and think you did well. Were you able to move around and eliminate the bush on the left?...moving in front of the bush and going to 24mm may have been the way to go if possible.
Now for the PP'ing.....since morning light is quite contrasty.....you may want to do a reverse s-curve first! (Robert's tutorial on tonal range tweaks).....then do the other corrections....yes it will look flat at first....but bringing up contrast is easy with either an LCE or adding black in selective color to the neutrals or black....so see what that does! I am heading out but will give it a shot if not tonight tomorrow......hopefully someone beats me to it!

Dave Mills
11-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi Kat, As Roman suggested I used Robert's reverse s curve application which subtly gave the image more contrast and enriched the colors. Agree with Roman's other comments.

Robert Amoruso
11-11-2009, 05:35 PM
I started commenting on this one at lunch and then got asked to go out so now I am back and Dave and Roman beat me too it. I was going to suggest moving to eliminate the left bush as Roman suggested and the reverse s-curve too. I even had the image downloaded in PS and done for uploading.

Oh well. All I know is if and when Roman and I ever shoot together, he will be bumping into each other trying for the same angles. :)

Kat, I like the use of the diagonal slopes in the back and I like that the shape of the equipment mimics the peak and slopes in the BG.

Katherine Enns
11-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Thank you so much all three of you for taking the time to consider this image and work it up. Or think about working it up. I actually did do reverse curve on the image, obviously not enough, as I see Daves rework has more detail. Regarding the Artemsia tridentata, stage left, one more time you guys have reminded me I let my botany get in the way of my photography, quite literally. Wonderful help...!

Kat

Roman Kurywczak
11-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Hi Kat,
Thank you and you are most welcome! What's the saying...forest through the trees??? I know...bad pun.

And Robert....fortunately in landscapes there is rarely a scuffle for prime space:D....it's not moving....we can take turns and no large glass to maneuver!

Robert Amoruso
11-12-2009, 01:17 PM
And Robert....fortunately in landscapes there is rarely a scuffle for prime space:D....it's not moving....we can take turns and no large glass to maneuver!

Not when the light is changing quickly. ;)

Roman Kurywczak
11-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Not when the light is changing quickly. ;)
I guess you weren't buying that!;)......gotta go work out now:D!

Katherine Enns
11-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Its true that landscape photography and photographs of plants are easier in many respects, and therefore we have no excuses for making a hash of them. :) But they are tricky in thier own way. I think recognizing a potential landscape subject, planning for the best lighting and understanding what is needed in the frame to make it special is sometimes harder than just shooting at the average fabulously gorgeous species of wildlife where it takes speed (and skill!!!), and sometimes luck. I have learned a lot in this place, and wish I could spend time at landscape and structure school. Does anyone teach courses in this from this site? Lots of bird and critter courses I see.... ???