PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Leaf

Christopher Miller
11-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Here in my neck of the woods, practically all the leaves have fallen and very few have any color left; but I'm still working through all the photos I took during peak fall color.

I photographed this maple leaf on a deck railing. Most of leaf shots are taken looking straight down, so to be different I took this one from the side. Let me know what you think!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f4.5 @ 1/160, ISO 100
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, auto WB
Processed in PS CS2; curves adjustment, saturation boost, cropped to pano, and darkened the edges a tiny bit

Mike Fuhr
11-11-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm in the same boat as far as fall goes. Nice choice of leaf with a lot more dof than I would expect for F4.5. The UL corner distracts my simple mind a bit. :)

Dave Leroy
11-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Love that back ground. Simple minds think a like I guess 'cause I am a wishing for a slight camera move to the left and only have the plank in bg. Nicely exposed and lots of detail. Dave

Julie Kenward
11-11-2009, 06:42 PM
That's three in a row for losing the ULC...I'd do a simple clone and get it out of there.

I like that you went with a side angle - I think going up a few more degrees would also have been nice or standing closer to the LRC and looking across that way would also have worked.

Nice job on the yellows, Chris! Great textural interest with the board...might consider darkening it a bit to give the image more of an anchor since the leaf and board are both so light.

Mike Moats
11-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Hey Chris, very nice texture and tone in the deck, and good details and contrast of the leaf against the deck color. Agree with others on the losing the ULC. Well done.

Christopher Miller
11-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks everyone! ULC has been cloned as suggested. Jules, I like your suggestion on darkening the wood a bit. I'll be sure to give it a try.

Mike, the reason that the DOF is larger than you might expect is because point-and-shoot cameras have greater DOF than a DSLR would at the same aperture.

Anita Bower
11-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Your second post is definitely better--no distractions from the lovely, smooth yellow against the rough grey wood.