PDA

View Full Version : Crepuscular Rays

Trevor Hughes
11-11-2009, 08:00 AM
This is one I took a while ago, whilst on holiday on the Isle of Skye.
We spent the entire day on this one stretch of road and kept dodging the rain, but it was worth it as it is a beautful location.
http://www.pbase.com/trevorhughes/image/101993816/original.jpg

Canon 1D MkIII EOS 24-105L 1/640s f/8.0 at 105.0mm iso100

Dave Mills
11-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi Trevor, Good comp with some very dramatic lighting. The light rays are very pronounced along with an interesting sky. The sepia tone is an asset and tends to add to the overall mood....

Katherine Enns
11-11-2009, 11:35 AM
This is very striking and very evocative. I have been to Skye. Is the sign "Slow down while boarding ferry" still on the steep road leading down to the ferry dock? Love the darkness in this image

Trevor Hughes
11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Thank you Dave and Kat for your kind comments. :)

Kat - I'm not sure about the sign TBH. Now the bridge is free to cross and that we are only 3.5 hours away, we always drive across the Lochalsh bridge. The ferry is further south and would make the journey longer. We are going back next year and plan a trip on the ferry to visit Ardnamurchan peninsula, the most remote part of the entire UK. Access is only by boat, unless you want to walk 15 miles over rugged and mountainous terrain. :eek:
I'll keep an eye out for the sign.

Katherine Enns
11-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh thanks! I travelled there with my mother, who was from Leith, Edinburgh, many years ago. I was unaware there is a bridge there now. It was and possibly still remains one of the most haunting landscapes in my experience.

I am looking forward to seeing your images in future and will watch out for them.

Trevor Hughes
11-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Oh thanks! I travelled there with my mother, who was from Leith, Edinburgh, many years ago. I was unaware there is a bridge there now. It was and possibly still remains one of the most haunting landscapes in my experience.

I am looking forward to seeing your images in future and will watch out for them.

Hi Kat,
The bridge was opened in 1995 and as a result the ferry was closed down. Now, only the Mallaig - Armadale ferry runs (summer only). There was major controversy over the toll charges (£11.40 round trip) as even residents had to pay. An expensive business for those commuting to the mainland for work, which many have to do as there are so few jobs on the island. The toll was taken away at the end of 2004.
There's an interesting article on this at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skye_Bridge
I've been fortunate enough to travel all over the world and still regard Skye as one of the most beautiful and evocative places I've ever been. To think that the first time my wife and I went there, we were worried that we wouldn't find enough to do for a week! 7 holiday weeks later and we've still got an unfinished list! :D
Thanks again for your kind words.

Roman Kurywczak
11-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi Trevor,
I love the rays and the distinct bands and agree with Dave that the mood is fantastic! Some recommendations for possible improvement as presented is to ;ighten the LL corner a bit and the water.....just a bit dark. There is also a highlight....from a building???...toning that down or eliminating it entirely (if you are OK with such things) would help keep the viewer in the scene.
Lastly..... and this is a big personal one.....I'm not a huge fan of frames when presenting here! Why???.....Many times it is to mask imperfections in an image.....clearly that is not the case here (just making sure!)...I just want to see more of the lovely scene....not the frame!
Like I said....my issue...the image is wonderfully composed and exposed.....just a few tweaks for presentation here (even I have isssues) will make this shine!

Trevor Hughes
11-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi Trevor,
I love the rays and the distinct bands and agree with Dave that the mood is fantastic! Some recommendations for possible improvement as presented is to ;ighten the LL corner a bit and the water.....just a bit dark. There is also a highlight....from a building???...toning that down or eliminating it entirely (if you are OK with such things) would help keep the viewer in the scene.
Lastly..... and this is a big personal one.....I'm not a huge fan of frames when presenting here! Why???.....Many times it is to mask imperfections in an image.....clearly that is not the case here (just making sure!)...I just want to see more of the lovely scene....not the frame!
Like I said....my issue...the image is wonderfully composed and exposed.....just a few tweaks for presentation here (even I have isssues) will make this shine!

Thanks for the suggestions Roman, I will have a go at re-processing tomorrow and see what I mcan come up with.
Sorry about the frame, I shouild have mentioned that my images are hosted on PBase and that I have tended to use frames for presentation purposes on there. I agree with you about frames in general, and can confirm that it isn't hiding any defects! :D
The building is the remains of an old croft (small farm in Scotland), an inherent part of Scottish Highland history, in particular, the infamous Highland Clearances. I wouldn't want to remove it, but that is because I know what it is and its significance, however, I take your point, especially as most people wouldn't have a clue what it was.

Roman Kurywczak
11-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey Trevor,
Thanks for the frame explanation! ....another benefit of membership!
If you bring up the darker area.....so we can recognize the building without taking away from the mood....that may resolve the issue!

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Bad weather can create such dramatic scenes. Loved the composition and the tones a lot. Congrats.

KD

Trevor Hughes
11-12-2009, 05:20 AM
Thanks KD - we get quite a lot of bad weather up here! :)

Mike Fuhr
11-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Agree with all the comments above. Very nice. I think it needs a bit of CCF rotation...