PDA

View Full Version : Male House Finch on Judd's Perch

Gus Hallgren
02-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi Folks,

First I was given a good tip to put up some perches close to the feeder. Being an old logger, I cut down a tree, chopped off the branches, and put up a couple of skookum perches that would support a flock of Condors. First gentle rebuke, "Bird looks great, but perch is a wee bit ugly." So trimmed the stubs of the chopped off branches to beautify them. Then gentle Judd came along and very gentlly suggested that small branches would create a much smaller shadow from the bird . . . hmmmm . . . the light flashed on!! ;) So this is the Grand Opening of "Judd's Perch."

Thank you Judd.

Gus :)

BTW: Fumbled my way through first RAW conversion. :eek:

Olympus E-510 IS
2/14/2008 10:10 AM
Apeture Priority F 6.3 1/800s
ISO 200
-0.30 EV
600 MM HH
Auto WB

Richard Kowalski
02-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Congrats on your first RAW conversion Gus! Nice work. The perch looks much better too.
The exposure looks good, but a little S/H adjustment might bring up the tail end from the shade. I'd also trim a little more off the right side.

Alfred Forns
02-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Fully agree with Richard !!!! All excellent suggestions For the tail you can also use the quick mask technique and get rid of the shadow

There is also a shadow on the lower side of the body S/h will help !!!

George DeCamp
02-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey Gus!

Looks like Judds Perch making 101 was a success! :D

The suggestions above sound like the way to go so I will leave you with them.
Good job!

Nonda Surratt
02-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Good going Gus!

Gus Hallgren
02-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Hi Folks,

Sure like all your comments as I learn by mistakes. The shadows, I think it was Alfred who said, "Use a flash." So, I did take a few at the end of my sessions, and would like to think I can make my corrections when I take the photo. Here's one with the flash and trimmed as Richard suggested. Still very awkward with RAW.

I thank everyone of you for your comments and suggestions.

Gus

Harold Davis
02-14-2008, 09:49 PM
nice job, gus!!! love the first post. looks awesome.

Judd Patterson
02-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes, Gus, I'm liking the perch! Perches from this size to something up to maybe a 3/4" in diameter are really great for birds of this size...they don't dominate the frame and they look proportionally correct compared to the bird. Well done!! It's great to hear that you are experimenting with RAW conversions as well. What software did you use for the conversion? In Photoshop's Adobe Camera RAW, you can sometimes get good results using the "Fill Light" setting to gently increase the detail in the dark shadows. Keep on experimenting!

Fabs Forns
02-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Congratulations on getting to be an image "creator" in the full sense of the word :)

Gus Hallgren
02-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Thanks to all you kind gentle folks who visited and provided me with so much encouragement. There are 3 attributes I like to find in people. 1. Integrity, 2. Kindness, & 3. Humor, which I think I found in everyone of you tonight. My Heros!! :)

Today, I did my first RAW, quickly, and just good enough for me to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Tonight I spent time going over most steps, a bit rubbing off on me, and tomorow I'l be posting it for your gentle critiques . . . don't hold back, I learn from my mistooks.

Love having my eyes opened with the gentle touch ~ not sticks! :eek:.

Best regards.

Gus

Gus Hallgren
02-15-2008, 12:48 AM
Hi Judd,

I using Adobe CS3, and opening in Bridge. I will pay attention to "Fill Light" Used all custom tonight.

Gus