PDA

View Full Version : Chickadee

Matt Vosniak
11-11-2009, 12:02 AM
I know it seems strange since Chickadees seem to be everywhere at times but I have been trying to get a decent shot of one for a long time and always seemed to miss my opportunity. The shot I wanted most is of one hanging upside-down while feeding. This isn't exactly what I was going for but I was happy to finally get an image I liked. Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy.

Matt

40D, 300mm +1.4x converter, 1/400th, f 7.1, -1/3 comp, ISO 400.

Harshad Barve
11-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Matt
Wonderful image , lovely wings and BG , meal in beak (?) is bonus here
TFS

Tony Whitehead
11-11-2009, 02:23 AM
I can see why you're happy with this one, Matt. Very painterly look the bird and BG. Nice plumage detail and seed in beak is a bonus as Harshad says.

Kiran Poonacha
11-11-2009, 02:39 AM
wish that twig did not there, bit loved the pose, nice pose and the seed adds well.. congrats..

Stu Bowie
11-11-2009, 04:38 AM
Happy looking character, especially with a seed in his beak. Well exposed and sharp, and against a great BG too.

paul leverington
11-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Hi Matt--Hey those little guys can be a little difficult to get a good shot of--I know. Here in this shot I love the bg most. The light to dark area differences create wonderful eye movement and the color and texture is very gentle and easy on the eyes . A little less of the lighter areas would be better if that is possible next time to achieve. The birds spread tail is very nice--but I would in general wish for a straight pose on him, maybe back to us, with a nice look back. (Pushing the luck now aren't I) The seed in the beak makes it look rather like a feeder shot. (which it may or may not be). The twig in front of the tail is a problem. If this was a set up you might get a better perch--or even make this a set up area by starting to feed them there or doing a water drip. Hard for me to make comment without knowing the shooting circumstances. But that BG could be used over and over again to tremendous effect for many shots.

Paul.

denise ippolito
11-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Beautiful BG and details. The seed in the mouth is a bonus. I agree w/ the twig merge. Nicely done getting the fanned tail and underside.

James Salywoda
11-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Gorgeous all around image Matt and I love the surrounding habitat. Well Done!

Matt Vosniak
11-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments and suggestions. Finally getting a chickadee image I am happy with has been a bit frusterating at times but fun trying.