PDA

View Full Version : Canon 100-400mm weather protection

shane jordan
11-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Hey Guys,

I am going to be in yellowstone feb 21-28 and plan on bringing my 17-40, 24-105 and 100-400mm. Now the first two lenses are weather sealed but my 100-400 is not. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to protect this lens. Snow is going to be the biggest issue I am guessing. I see that lenscoat makes a cover for the lens but it does not protect the lens when zoomed to 400mm. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Dan Brown
11-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Hi Shane. I have used the "rainsleeve" with my 80-400 plus flash. It works well with the exception of the viewfinder hole being small and hard to position. One could enlarge the hole or tape it in place. I haven't used it much but was happy when I did. Below is a link to B&H page.:)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=RAINSLEEVE%20FLASH&N=0

PS. that might be your lens in the picture?

shane jordan
11-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Ahh that may work. I need to measure the distance of my camera + lens to see if it is long enough once the 400mm has been extended.

Daniel Cadieux
11-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I use the "Storm Jacket". Works great with the 100-400 (except with external flash), even when fully extended.

shane jordan
11-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I was looking at the storm jacket just a few minutes ago. What size did you get?

Daniel Cadieux
11-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I got Medium. The lens hood sticks out, but that's OK as the bungee elastic squeezes around in the groove between the hood and the lens. I got mine in black as the yellow and red are just way too bright and make you stick out like a sore thumb. I see they now have "Camouflage"...cool!

http://www.stormjacket.com/SJ_ORDER.html

Norm Dulak
11-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi Shane. I have used the "rainsleeve" with my 80-400 plus flash. It works well with the exception of the viewfinder hole being small and hard to position. One could enlarge the hole or tape it in place. I haven't used it much but was happy when I did. Below is a link to B&H page.:)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=RAINSLEEVE%20FLASH&N=0

PS. that might be your lens in the picture?

I agree that the rainsleeve is a great solution. I've ordered four 2-packs from B & H (current price, $5.09 for two) that my wife and I will take with us to Antarctica. It also may be a good idea to take a supply of heavy rubber bands, to firmly attach the front of the rainsleeve to the front of your lens shade, so there will be no slippage.

A far more expensive alternative has been suggested in this thread. But I think it is expensive overkill for the occasional protection you will need. Furthermore, the lens hood will not stick out with the rainsleeve, since it extends to 18 inches.

Norm Dulak

Daniel Cadieux
11-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Well, you can get the large instead of medium then ;-) I'll admit that it is somewhat expensive, but it does the job great and the water literally just slides right. One small shake when your done and the jacket is dry.

If you want to go all the way to the other end price-wise you can get yourself a large freezer "Ziploc" bag. The largest type easily fits the 100-400 + body (I've done many times before). Cut a hole at the bottom (smaller than the diameter of the lens) and slowly slide the lens through the hole from inside the bag. Having cut the hole smaller it will remain tight and weatherproof around the lens, and the freezer bag is large enough to cover the complete kit and put your hands inside. Total cost: about $0.10 :-)

Another "cheap" option is those clear plastic rain "ponchos", and some rubber bands. Works great for any size lens...

Norm Dulak
11-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Well, you can get the large instead of medium then ;-) I'll admit that it is somewhat expensive, but it does the job great and the water literally just slides right. One small shake when your done and the jacket is dry.

If you want to go all the way to the other end price-wise you can get yourself a large freezer "Ziploc" bag. The largest type easily fits the 100-400 + body (I've done many times before). Cut a hole at the bottom (smaller than the diameter of the lens) and slowly slide the lens through the hole from inside the bag. Having cut the hole smaller it will remain tight and weatherproof around the lens, and the freezer bag is large enough to cover the complete kit and put your hands inside. Total cost: about $0.10 :-)

Another "cheap" option is those clear plastic rain "ponchos", and some rubber bands. Works great for any size lens...

There is no need to go "all the way" to such "cheap" alternatives. The rainsleeve is an intelligent, inexpensive alternative.

When making suggestions in this forum, I think it is important to try to be realistic and helpful.

Norm Dulak

Daniel Cadieux
11-10-2009, 05:52 PM
There is no need to go "all the way" to such "cheap" alternatives. The rainsleeve is an intelligent, inexpensive alternative.

When making suggestions in this forum, I think it is important to try to be realistic and helpful.

Norm Dulak

Norm, when I first started bird photography I was literally "broke" money-wise. Those suggestions I gave I've used MANY times for at least a few years before I could afford little "gadgets" like commercial rain covers. They are very valid and realistic suggestions and were sincerely meant to help...sorry if it offended you:confused:

Norm Dulak
11-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Daniel:

I'm sure that no offense was intended.

Nevertheless, I think that ignoring suggestions from TWO Different BPN members to use the rainsleeve (with a link that explains what the rainsleeve is), and talking instead about Ziploc bags with holes cut into them, is disingenuous at best.

You made no mention at all of the rainsleeve. If there was a reason for that, please let us all know what it was.

We all have our favorite equipment for particular situations. But when someone else has a problem that needs to be solved, we should look beyond our biases and help them to the best of our ability. And the solution proposed should be the least costly possible, commensurate with adequate solution of the problem.

Norm Dulak

Alfred Forns
11-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Hi Shane

Another vote for the Storm Jacket Even have one for my 500, for light duty use they are great. Snow wise you might not even need ... gets so cold the snow is practically dry !! Will be fun and say warm !!!

Daniel Cadieux
11-10-2009, 06:48 PM
You made no mention at all of the rainsleeve. If there was a reason for that, please let us all know what it was.

I had never heard of the rainsleeve before this thread came up. Good enough reason?

Norm Dulak
11-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Hi Shane

Snow wise you might not even need ... gets so cold the snow is practically dry !! Will be fun and say warm !!!

Alfred:

Despite the foregoing brouhaha, your suggestion that the dry, cold snow of February in Yellowstone might well not be a problem at all could be the best suggestion of all! I always value your remarks.

Norm Dulak

Michael Bertelsen
11-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Shane,

The "Storm Jacket" has my vote too.
I have the Pro it comes with full velcro on the bottom for complete adjustment. Rain or snow it's the way to go!

Cheers,

Michael
www.algonquinparkphototours.com (http://www.algonquinparkphototours.com)

Pedro Serralheiro
11-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Even if most of my gear is weatherseal, I use protection on it rains.
Two types I use. Stormjackets, different sizes, according to the lenses and when it really rains or the handling would be more on the rough side I use the Hydrophobia from Thinktank. It's expensive but in my opinion provides the best overall protection both for the lens and the body.

shane jordan
11-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Shane,

The "Storm Jacket" has my vote too.
I have the Pro it comes with full velcro on the bottom for complete adjustment. Rain or snow it's the way to go!

Your a poet and didn't even know it :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I may go with the storm jacket, it looks really nice

Norm Dulak
11-16-2009, 07:28 AM
After thinking about it more, I've concluded that the Storm Jacket might well be a good idea for the Yellowstone trip, and for my planned travel as well.

My initial thinking was that snow in the cold, dry February air of Yellowstone might not be a problem at all. But if it did prove problematic, the plastic of the rainsleeve might not hold up, or it might become stiff or brittle.

In my case, my wife and I are planning an Antarctic, South Georgia Island, Falklands trip. I've learned, e.g., that the Falklands are much like the UK, and that wind, rain, snow and sunshine can all occur in the same day. I think that requires the more substantial protection that the Storm Jacket would provide, and we'll get the medium model for our 80-400 mm lenses with the opening in the bottom for tripod attachment.

The rainsleeve, however, does have value for other applications, where rain is not expected but suddenly develops and there is a need to protect equipment until the rain ends. For a couple of dollars each, that's inexpensive protection in your pocket for the unexpected.

Norm Dulak