View Full Version : Tuolumne Meadows

denise ippolito
11-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Canon 30D
16-35mm
ISO 100
1/60 sec. at f/18
Tripod
This was one of the first landscape images I ever took. I know the lighting is not great-but I was wondering about composition and PP tweaks. Should I darken the FG just a bit? Thanks in advance.

Robert Amoruso
11-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Hi Denise,

All in all the light is not too bad - no large deep shadows. Interesting though on darkening the FG. It's lighting appears appropriate but I agree it does seem to draw the eye. I say give it a try.

At the top a crop through the middle of the cloud will give you a nice white border to frame the blue and mountains. Notice that the large right FG rock's top tip merges with the top of the river bed gravel - a higher elevation if possible would have eliminated that. And yes that is an ultra-fine point.

River acts as a leading line to the BG - always a good move compositional-wise.

denise ippolito
11-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Thankyou Robert. Good advice on the top crop-I hadn't thought about that.

Dave Mills
11-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Denise, Agree with Robert regarding the top crop. I also cropped the right side using the large rock as an anchor.
Since darkening the foreground was mentioned I did a light burn which brought out some color. As mentioned the lighting is a bit flat however it is even with no highs or lows.

denise ippolito
11-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Dave, Nice repost. Do you think we could keep the entire group of trees on the right in the frame and still have a good comp. I also did want a wide angle view. Let me know your thoughts.Thanks.

Dave Mills
11-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Enhancement of the color improves the overall look of the image quite a bit. Regarding the comp thats totally up to you. Since you originally questioned it I thought I would show you another view....

denise ippolito
11-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks alot for your help Dave. I appreciate it.

Roman Kurywczak
11-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Hey Denise,
Comp wise I like the FG rocks but agree a bit bright. Judging by the shadows.....light appeared fine so i went with a few PP'ing tweaks. Your Re-post brought out some more definition and pop and I like where you chose to crop there too! I took the OP....reverse s curve from the mountains down......a B/C layer lowering the brightness too. I also did a shadow highlight adjustment....not so much on the shadows.....more on the highlights. I took the neutrals in selective color....added black and finally a LCE of 20/40/0. Looks more appropriate to the shadows and brought out the colors. Let me know what you think.
PS took out shadow in PP'ing as well as rock in FG edge.

denise ippolito
11-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Roman, Thankyou very much for all your help and tweak advice! Great job w/ the repost. I also like the inclusion of the tree group on the right.

PS. Your new signature and LOGO ROCK!!!

Robert, When I did the repost -I forgot to take some off the top as you suggested-sorry:o

Desmond Chan
11-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Denise, your repost is much better than the original, which looks a bit brighter than necessary. With the adjustments, the repost also looks sharper and with more details. Good show !

denise ippolito
11-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Desmond, Thankyou very much. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.