PDA

View Full Version : Boundary Bay

Desmond Chan
11-10-2009, 03:55 AM
300mm ISO 800 f11 1/640s. Hand-held.

Was scanning for birds but saw this scene.

Converted to B&W using Russell Brown method, adjusted contrast and sharpened.

C&C welcome and appreciated !

Thank you !!

Robert Amoruso
11-10-2009, 07:46 AM
Desmond,

The mountains and clouds are quite dramatic but the void FG draws your interest from them. You had some downed trees in the FG. Walking up to them and making them larger in the image would have added the visual interest in the FG needed.

In this image I recommend you crop to a bit below the dark tree line into a pano. Nice work on the B&W. I have looked at R.B.'s process but not used it yet.

Dave Mills
11-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi Desmond, Also agree on the bottom crop but would stop just below the tree on the right. Good conversion with a strong dramatic sky. Noticed small dust bunny on the top right cloud line. Nice image!

Roman Kurywczak
11-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Hey Desmond,
I second Robert's recommendations!...if possible getting one of those trees in the FG was the way to go but as presented I like the pano crop......doesn't hurt the image at all IMO and makes for a very nice presentation. Just something to also keep in mind for in the field.....you tried one with FG.....do the same image with more sky and the base where Robert recommended....sky had some nice textures and layers so that more of it may have also worked!
PS I was typing as Dave was responding....didn't mean to be repetitive.

denise ippolito
11-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Desmond, Very dramatic looking image and I agree a pano crop would look nice here.

Desmond Chan
11-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Hey, thanks for the comments and suggestions !!

I had concern about the foreground myself and, as it turned out, my concern was justified :o

Douglas Bolt
11-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Nice!

My initial impression was the same as Robert's - the bottom 1/4th doesn't contribute much. But, by scrolling the image down so the top of the image was just slightly above the dark horizontal band in the clouds, foreground as shown seemed to acquire more interest. Interesting how just a slight crop will change the feel of an image. I wish I had an Add-on for Firefox that would allow me to display virtual crops. Anyone seen such? Scrolling up and down never quite stops where I want.