PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah in the open (B&W)

Morkel Erasmus
11-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Posting this as a comparison to my earlier post of this cheetah processed as an HDR (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49295). I feel both have their merits and I like both of them very much.

Would love to have your thoughts...

Techs:
Canon 40D with 100-400 L IS USM @ 400mm
f5.6 @ 1/500 SS @ ISO-500
Exp +0.3

Harshad Barve
11-10-2009, 12:44 AM
I will prefer B/W version

TFS

peter delaney
11-10-2009, 01:04 AM
interesting repost.....I love B@W as a medium ... but in this instance I prefer your HDR version... the cheetah really feels part of her environs in the colour version ... for me B@W images must have impact either thru mood created by contrast, tonal range ,texture etc or else they tend to feel flat and not have the desired impact...nothing wrong with your conversion but for me does not work with this image...

hope you do not mind me being honest , Morkel .. you know I am big fan of yours..

Peter

Marc Mol
11-10-2009, 01:07 AM
I think I prefer the B&W also, did you selectively sharpen the Cheetah more in this version?
Looking at her? closely, she really could do with a good feed!

Kiran Khanzode
11-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Wow, Morkel, that's one Cheetah on some serious diet. Almost looks like an Afghan hound. I like the intense stare and the vignette effect. But I still cannot get over the fact that he/she's extremely skinny...

Morkel Erasmus
11-10-2009, 03:29 AM
thanks a lot for the honest feedback everyone.

@ peter - really do appreciate your honesty. I myself do like the HDR more too but like this one as well. would really like some input from you regarding tonal treatment in b+w since I am experimenting with that a lot.

as far as the condition of this cheetah - it didn't strike me at the sighting and when working with the images that the cheetah was underfed or unusually skinny - they are normally much thinner than other big cats because of their lithe posture and build for speed.

Hendri Venter
11-10-2009, 03:59 AM
Although I like this my vote will also go with the colour version. Well done on this Morkel, its still a very good conversion.

Marc Mol
11-10-2009, 06:15 AM
as far as the condition of this cheetah - it didn't strike me at the sighting and when working with the images that the cheetah was underfed or unusually skinny - they are normally much thinner than other big cats because of their lithe posture and build for speed.

Totally agree Morkel that they are by far the leanest of all the big cats, however
I still think this one is under nourished compared to many I have seen throughout Sth/East Africa. The left rear hind quarter/leg looks somewhat wasted.
Taking away nothing from this fine image.

David Fletcher
11-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Fine shot and treatment Morkel. prefer the color version too a sit screams Africa more to me. Peter hits on it re the B&W even though this is fine. Tis skinny though, not a nit... just that it's young as evidenced by the fur on the neck and shoulders and is probably less successful with it's hunting skills at this age. TFS

John Ippolito
11-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I like it a lot, Morkel. I would be very happy to have made this image as presented in B&W, but the color version is my favorite of the two. Fine job!

Morkel Erasmus
11-10-2009, 12:43 PM
thanks Hendri, Marc, Dave & John!

Marc - I did not take it as degrading comment on the photo itself :)

Stu Bowie
11-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Hey mate, I like this conversion, it does work, and you have the tones sorted in this. I also like your HDR version too. What I would like to see, but probably then not in this category, selectively colour the cheetah, and leave the BG in B&W. What do you think? Cheers.

Morkel Erasmus
11-10-2009, 01:24 PM
thanks Stu - will go try that out (for Out-of-the-Box gallery of course...)
;)

Marc Mol
11-10-2009, 08:22 PM
thanks Hendri, Marc, Dave & John!

Marc - I did not take it as degrading comment on the photo itself :)

Didn't think so, thanks Morkel ;)

Morkel Erasmus
11-10-2009, 11:32 PM
no problem :D

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Lovely capture with excellent action, detail and composition. Really like the Black and white Morkel. Well done.

Morkel Erasmus
11-11-2009, 03:51 PM
appreciate the feedback Judy...

Nagesh Mula
11-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Hi Morkel, In this situation i definitely liked the B/W version very much. The HDR version looks kinda fake to me as far as the BKGR is concerned. In my opinion, HDR looks great if multiple shots are taken and then combined together but in case of psuedo HDR not many look good.

Morkel Erasmus
11-11-2009, 11:15 PM
thanks for your honest opinion Nagesh...