PDA

View Full Version : Moran at Sunrise

Steve Garner
11-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Mt. Moran in the Tetons. Image taken at Schwabacher Landing.
My first post in landscape, I hope you enjoy.

Canon 7D
24 to 70mm @ 43mm
1/60 f8
ISO 200

Robert Amoruso
11-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Steve, you had some glorious light on the BG peaks. I would do back to the tiff and see how much of the golden color is clipped. If not I would still recommend desaturating the sun-drenched peaks some.

In the FG, the two clipped plants along the bottom edge should have been included or you could have moved forward and gotten them out of the image. I like the FG tonality as it is in shade and contrasts well with the BG in sun. As the sky is not too interested, compared to the peaks, that could be cropped down some.

Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Dave Mills
11-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi Steve, Welcome to the landscape section. I agree with a number of Roberts points. Since the peaked area is the center of interest I cropped the image down to accentuate that area. I also cropped out the bottom plants since I would have preferred seeing all of them or none. The trees are acting as a natural frame of the mountain.
The early light is beautiful and good handling of a tricky exposure....

Chris Hansen
11-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi Steve,

I agree with the advice given so far. A much lower perspective including the plants with an fstop of f16 or smaller would have added a lot of interest to your photo. The plants would provide an anchoring foreground to lead you into the image. I like the slight left to right diagonal of the sage leading you into the image. Beautiful lighting.

God bless,

chris

Steve Garner
11-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the help, I appreciate the feedback.
I guess my only option is to keep going back untill I get it right.

Thanks

Steve

Roman Kurywczak
11-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey Steve,
Welcome to the forum!
I don't think you were that far off although having been there numerous times......going back to such a sweet location isn't such a bad thing! Nice advice on the crop given above and the first thing that caught my eye was the bushes/grasses protruding bottom edge of frame. When composing....check those edges first! All in all you balanced the evergreens on the left with the mountain nicely and the light was fantastic! Given the lens you used moving 1 step forward and zooming to around 50mm may have given you something close to Dave's repost......so just keep that in mind when in the field.

gary rouleau
11-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Great shot Steve and I did enjoy it. Nice to see you posting more. Did you use a tripod?

gary