PDA

View Full Version : Three is company

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-09-2009, 10:28 AM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/10125205-lg.jpg

Cormorants on a misty morning

40D. 300 f/4 non-IS and 1.4x. 1/500. f/8 iso 320 hand-held. Curves work in DPP

I was busy shooting pelicans that morning. But then came across this nice looking compostion right in front. All critiques welcome and appreciated.

KD

James Salywoda
11-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Well seen excellent composition great shot.

Randy Stout
11-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Kaustubh:

I like this quite a bit for its graphic quality. Yes, the headangles are off, and I wish the bottom two birds didn't merge quite so much. The angled perch is great. I might try to smooth the background just a bit, get rid of some of the specular reflections. I also might consider darkening the transilluminated feathers on the top bird, so it is more consistent with the other two.

Lots of ways to go here!

Thanks for sharing!

Randy

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Randy, thx a lot for the suggestions. I shall try that.

On the HA front, it took me a while to get these HAs. The difficulty of getting right HAs increases exponentially with the number of birds :-) I also wish the bottom two to be separated better...but there was a fourth dude on top....hence the cramming at the bottom. He was messing the comp. and I waited until he flew away.

KD

Randy Stout
11-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Kaustubh:

One way to reduce the impact of the head angles is to go all the way to a silhouette. And yes, I appreciate how hard it is to get all three in the right plane! Sometimes you can squeak at them and they will turn your way a bit, not always.

Randy

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Thx Randy. If the birds are completely backlit, I usually go silhouette all the way. But in this, the way sun is shining on their backs and wings, going full shilhouette will need more PP than usual.....simple contrast/curves was not working. But I will try it again. thx again.

KD

Randy Stout
11-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Kaustubh:

A quick way to preview the effect without much work if you use ACR is to advance the black slider to 45-50. No, not true full blown silhouettes, but gives you an idea if its worth the work to do it right.

Randy

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Randy...appreciate the effort you always put in. I had tried something like that in DPP.....but those highlights were bothering me....

KD

Harshad Barve
11-09-2009, 08:46 PM
nice to get three togather, Randy's repost works for me
TFS

Kiran Poonacha
11-10-2009, 08:07 AM
I the OP too, that little detail in the birds adds interest.. nicely framed.. congrats..