PDA

View Full Version : Dewy Leaf: Remember The Kodak PhotoCD

Charles Wesley
11-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Here's a real old one back in the day. While taking photo classes, I got this image along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. I was trying to isolate this leaf and it's dew drops.

Nikon F5, Nikkor 300 f/4, ext. tube with Fuji Velvia and Bogen tripod. Not sure of my exposure but most likely taken somewhere around f/8- f/11. Sorry about any noise.

Could only open this image with Apple iPhoto '09. PS/ CS4 would not do it even when I went online for the plugin. Go figure.....

PS/CS4
Topaz Adjust
Neat Image
FocalBlade

Julie Kenward
11-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Beautiful color palette, Charlie and what an excellent job you did with getting the dew drops focused but not over sharpened. I'd say a little lower angle would have given you a bit more of the dew in view but its still an excellent image - especially for someone taking classes!

Charles Wesley
11-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Jules,

My photo teacher yelled at me for ten years as I took classes. It took a long time before he liked any of my work. He was very critical. I'm glad he was....

Susan Griffith
11-09-2009, 09:47 AM
love the texture of the leaf and the boken you achieved in the back ground. The detail is superb from the serrations on the leaf to the water droplets.

Very nice composition.

-Susan

denise ippolito
11-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Charles, Beautiful focus, details and BG. Really interesting image! Nicely done.

Dave Leroy
11-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Looks great Charles. I really like the sharp focus and details. Good story to boot. Dave

Dave Mills
11-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Charles, Good lighting,backround and comp. The water drops makes the image for me. If this were mine I would take a bit off the left. Well handled!

Anita Bower
11-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Lovely colors and exposure. I really like those water drops catching the light aligned along bottom of leaf. I'd prefer to have the front of the leaf more in focus. Simple, clean BG.

How did you put up with a critical teacher for 10 years! I would not have lasted.

Charles Wesley
11-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Anita,

Thanks for the kind comments. My instructor really knew how to take photos and print from both negatives and slides very well. He had his own commercial darkroom business and shared his knowledge.

We got to meet some National Geographics photographers and have tours in Washington, D.C. at the headquarters.

He knew so many successful photographers. It's nice to have a teacher who lives & breathes it all the time.

Charles Wesley
11-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Anita,

My photo instructor once met Yousuf Karsh at a Jerry Lewis Telethon in Hollywood.My instructor was shooting B & W stills for the TV show. Karsh was most impressed with the negatives and especially the 8" by 10" prints.IMO when Karsh tells you that your prints are really good that's a huge compliment.