PDA

View Full Version : Love **was** in the air

Richard Kowalski
02-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Last week I walked out into my living room and noticed these two Anna's Hummingbirds on the ground. I made a few images and then I started to approach them to make sure they weren't tangled up in something. They both flew off in different directions.

I posted to the "NBHC AZ/NM Birds" mailing list and several hummingbird experts replied that what most likely happened was the male pounced on the female in flight near me feeder, grabbed onto her back in an attempt to mate. She wasn't interested and they both fell to the ground. Unfortunately for him, she landed on his tail!

Sorry it isn't "Birds as Art", but I think it is just enough out of the box, especially for today, to show off a bit more.

Enjoy the day with your own sweetie!!

Jim Poor
02-14-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm glad they both flew off. I was a bit worried there. When I first saw the image and the title, thought we were in for a story of mourning.

It's always interesting to catch something unique like this.

Rosl Roessner
02-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Uups, I was quite confused: looks, like one of them is dead.... I am happy to hear that they both flew away :-))

Rod Wiley
02-14-2008, 04:38 PM
I was in SC a few months ago and a park ranger told me that he once saw a Hummer fall to the ground after eating to much, he picked it up and in about a half hour it stood up and few away. A bird expert told him that some times they get a suger over load and pass out.

Alfred Forns
02-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Wild behavior Richard !!!!!! Amazing !!!!