PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly In The Grasslands

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-08-2009, 06:28 PM
This was taken at Katmai , Alaska this summer. As I mentioned on previous posts it rained everyday but that did not stop us. It definitely was one of the highlights of my life as a photographer.

Nikon D3
Nikon 600 mm F4
1/80, F11
manual

All comments are appreciated. thanks !

Danny J Brown
11-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi Judy: A very interesting image as I had to step back from my monitor a few feet to take it all in from a different perspective. The bear is beautifully rim lit and the green vegetation is brilliant in color but not to a fault from my point of view but keep in mind that I'm frequently asked to tone things down a bit on my images. I like it that the bear is soaked and I love its little ears and gargantuan nose. Composition is nice as well. Sounds like you had an amazing trip.

Harshad Barve
11-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Lovely image , techs spot on as usual ,
greens looks awesome here
TFS

Alfred Forns
11-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Rain is enhancing mood and saturating colors !!! Love that look !!! Never been there so I can't say much on the color but might tone down the green slightly !! Big Congrats on this one Judy !!!

DanWalters
11-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Like the highlights in the eye and the vibrant green really makes the image stand out.

Stu Bowie
11-09-2009, 12:26 AM
These are truly large animals, and I like the light, and detail you have captured Judy. I also like the layered BG with all the different greens. Great image.

Marc Mol
11-09-2009, 02:13 AM
The soft color BG, rim lighting and detail on the wet fur make for a very nice image indeed, well done Judy.
Katmai is on my list of places to visit, so I'm very envious.

David Fletcher
11-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Gorgeous shot Judy. Love that look. Very well done.

John Ippolito
11-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Lovely light on a handsome grizzly, Judy. I really like the rainy coastal mood and the wet coat you have captured. Very nice work.

Steve Canuel
11-09-2009, 11:05 PM
I like the simple comp as well as the layers and colors of the image.

peter delaney
11-10-2009, 01:35 AM
not only will you have great memories of your trip .. but also great images too..

well done

peter

Robert Amoruso
11-10-2009, 12:19 PM
I am very fond of this type of image for the brown bears in the green grass due to the contrast in color. One of my favorite things to capture at Lake Clark NP. I like his heart shape of the body and head position. Good layering in the grass too adding depth.

The tonality of the image has a pleasing luminosity too it - very pleasing to the eye.

Gary Hamilton
12-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Coastal Brown Bear at Hallo Bay Wilderness Camp, Katmai Nat. Pk., Alaska. Image probably taken not too far from Judy's "Grizzly in the Grasslands" shot. Having been there, I can vouch for the greens in Judy's image. These grasses add dimension, even as the BG fades OOF.

Canon 1D Mk III
Canon 300 2.8 IS L

C/C welcome.

Gary