PDA

View Full Version : Species Search?

Richard Kowalski
02-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Blake,

another search capability I'd like to see is being able to search species specifically. I know this might be more involved than is necessary, so instead this could be as simple as changing the search feature to search specifically for the term placed within quotes.

For instance, I did a search "White Crowned Sparrow" a short time ago. Unfortunately the search returned every occurrence of the words "white", "crowned" and "sparrow" and not only the pages that contained the exact phrase. It is common practice for search engines to accept terms in quotes and return only pages that contain the exact phrase, so I would imagine this is possible without extensive modification to the site's code.

Thanks for considering this request

Alfred Forns
02-14-2008, 07:23 PM
HI Richard Does seem like a good idea I'm sure Overlord will take it under consideration I know we have a few things pending Just trying to catch up and put time in the place it will show most !!!

Richard Kowalski
02-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Hey Alfred,

I know that the OG has other things that need to be done in their personal and work lives so I don't expect
instant results on any of my requests. I do know that if there is a "Honeydo" list, (Sorry couldn't resist) sometimes several things can be added at the same time, instead of revisiting similar upgrades over weeks or months. This saves the webmaster time in the long run. Since the site is still so new, I think making requests for features now is probably the best way to proceed.

Thanks to all of the owners and moderators for all of the hard work they've been doing here.

Blake Shadle
02-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Oh, there's a "honeydo" list! But I've seemed to have lost it, lol... I appreciate the suggestions Richard, especially earlier in the game as you mentioned. I like the sound of a Species Search. Could be a nice feature for those looking for stock photography to purchase from the great photographer's posting here ;)

Jim Poor
02-15-2008, 11:47 AM
If you happen to be a Safari user, this might help out in the meantime:

www.pozytron.com/?acidsearch#download

Also, I think there is a way to make google search within a site from the google main page. That would let you use all the modifiers like AND, NOT, etc

Jim Poor
02-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Found it:

www.google.com/advanced_search

But for some reason it doesn't work with BPN :( I can specify birdsasart.com and get results from only there, but with BPN, it comes up blank. Not sure why.

Richard Kowalski
02-15-2008, 12:04 PM
I'd advise being cautious about using an "on-site" google search. The webmaster for our site had investigated using their search tool and was concerned about security. Also, he said (but I can't confirm) that it states in their agreement that when you use their site search tool, they claim copyright on all material on the site...

I would imagine that Jim's trouble search BPN in google right now is because you have to register to gain entry, so their crawlers will never index BPN... Personally I have no problem with this, but Blake might want to have an introductory page or two with information & descriptions of the site that the crawlers can access.

Blake Shadle
02-15-2008, 12:35 PM
I'd advise being cautious about using an "on-site" google search. The webmaster for our site had investigated using their search tool and was concerned about security. Also, he said (but I can't confirm) that it states in their agreement that when you use their site search tool, they claim copyright on all material on the site...

I would imagine that Jim's trouble search BPN in google right now is because you have to register to gain entry, so their crawlers will never index BPN... Personally I have no problem with this, but Blake might want to have an introductory page or two with information & descriptions of the site that the crawlers can access.

Did you find my "honeydo" list? ;)

Search Engine Optimization/Marketing is one of my specialties... but... with everything going on, it's been taking the back seat.