PDA

View Full Version : Flamingos

WilliamSnyder
11-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi all,
I have had a request for some flamingo photos. Does anyone know if there is a good place to shoot them in Florida?

any info would be appreciated, thanks.

william snyder

Alfred Forns
11-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi William Big Welcome to BPN !!!

Not many places around here William, the were twenty seven birds at ENP Flamingo, at the end of Snake Bite Trial. Would be best to check with the local birders, I know they do a bird count every Jan !!!

Your best bet is in the Bahamas, next to Spanish Wells there is a large colony which I have gotten full frames with a point and shoot !!!

btw will be moving this post to the Florida Forum (US South East) .. should get more views and comments !!!

Michael Pancier
11-09-2009, 11:19 AM
I agree with Al as far as wild ones. Lots of them (captive) at Hialeah Park, but you would have to get permission to go there and shoot as they are closed right now or any of the local zoos too such as Flamingo Gardens or Miami Metro Zoo.

Judd Patterson
11-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Finding wild flamingos in North America is not an easy task. I haven't heard of any recent reports at the standard Snake Bight location...but I suspect a few might be hidden down in the southern Everglades for the adventurous in a canoe/kayak. You'll have much better luck if you can make it down to the Bahamas!

Tom Hunter
12-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Celestun Mexico, The Atlanta zoo has a small number of them near the front entrance if you are looking for close ups.

Tom Hunter
12-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Celestun <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/ /><st1:country-region w:st=Mexico</st1:country-region> has thousands of them. It is about 90 minute drive from the international airport in M<st1:City w:st="on">erida</st1:City> <st1:country-region w:st="on">Mexico</st1:country-region>. There are many local tour boats that will take you with 100 yards of them.

David Smith
12-27-2009, 09:00 AM
William:

If you are on the West Coast of Florida, Sarasota Jungle Gardens has a flock that stays year-round.. Do a search for "Sarasota Jungle Gardens" and it should give you a website..

Dave

John Hawkins
12-27-2009, 05:34 PM
They have a nice flock in Busch Gardens Tampa also.