PDA

View Full Version : Big Tree Made Small

Morkel Erasmus
11-08-2009, 10:32 AM
This is the same dead camel thorn tree from one of my previous posts (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48232).

I zoomed out here to include the gorgeous cloud patterns, but could unfortunately not prevent getting part of the road in. Had to take this from the car, so couldn't play around with various compositions.

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS @ 18mm
f11 @ 1/200 SS @ ISO-100
Handheld from car window

Fabs Forns
11-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Those clouds are to die for, Morkel, I don't blame you for including it :)
Sweet blue and yellow palette. Compo is not too bad, especially if done from the car.

Robert Amoruso
11-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Understanding your limitations on shooting from the car you did great. Good contrast with the colors (tans and blues work well together and good cloud pattern. I would correct the distortion on the horizon.

Roman Kurywczak
11-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Hey Morkel,
I will give another comment to the above....try the reverse S-curve in Robert's tutorial first.....this will bring out more depth to the lovely clouds....then go for the other corrections.....this may have a significant impact.
I also blew the tree up to 500%....try dodging it in at this magnification and fading it.....will really help the tree gain the pop!
Comp wise you handled this well...road a non issue....give the tweaks a shot and see what you think.

Dave Mills
11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi Morkel, Also realise the difficulty of framing this image shooting from the car. The sky in the image is the strength and carries the comp. IMO you were correct in devoting this much space to it. Too bad you didn't have the ability to maneuver...

Morkel Erasmus
11-08-2009, 10:57 PM
thanks for the kind comments everyone.

@ Robert - the horizon isn't actually skewed, what you see is the dune on the left running downwards and a knoll rising on the right with the tree on it. :)

@ Roman - I actually did apply the reverse s-curve in PP...will work on the tree some...

Trevor Hughes
11-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Beautiful sky which is obviously the main strength of the shot. The tree looks very interesting and I agree with the suggestion that anything you can do in processing to make it pop a bit more, would be a bonus.
Its really useful to know the constraints imposed on the photographer at the outset - it saves a lot of "what if you moved...."
Nicely done. :)

denise ippolito
11-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Morkel, It's interesting and unusual. Very nice design to the image-I like it alot.

Morkel Erasmus
11-10-2009, 01:21 PM
thanks Trevor & Denise...