PDA

View Full Version : Barred Owl

Mike Tracy
11-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Although I got some of him flying in pretty blue skies and uniform back grounds I thought it more of a challenge to try to capture a image within the deep oak hammocks where they live.

Not sure if the background is too busy or the bird appears too dark which is why I am soliciting honest opinions. Aware of the noise but didn't know if this was worth spending additional time on so I left it as is.

As always, thanks in advance for your insights.

MKIII, EF500, 1/4000, f/4, ISO800, E.C. +.3, HH

Mike Fuhr
11-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Lovely shot. I actually like the habitat in the background, as well as a touch of blur on the wing tips to show motion. Very nice!

Dan Walker
11-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Love the intense stare and the wing position. Face is very sharp. Love the BG showing its habitat, although I may try to blur it a little, but an extra round or 2 of the NR you spoke of may take care of that. Well done

Brian Barcelos
11-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Mike, good job keeping focus on him with the difficult BG. Love the wing position and dangling feet. I'd run noise reduction and also darken the BG some. I imagine this was overall lightened in pp and thats why there is noise on the bird and I think you over sharpened it. To be honest this doesn't work for me and I'd love to see some images of him with the cleaner BG. Good attempt though.

Marina Scarr
11-08-2009, 11:26 AM
If this photo were mine, I would think it were worth working on. The pose of this owl is great. I love the raised wings and the inclusion of the environment. Yes, the BG is busy. However, this is the owls' habitat. It's much easier to photograph them in flight on a blue sky. It's in their environment such as this that the photography gets tricky. I would be proud of this one if it were mine.

Stu Bowie
11-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Great headon approach, good eye contact, and I like the symmetry of the wings. I would try and darken the BG a tad, and agree the face is a bit oversharpened. Still, well captured Mike.

Glenda Simmons
11-08-2009, 12:21 PM
I love the wing position and the coming at you look. A great shot in the bird's natural habitat.

Narayan Pai
11-08-2009, 12:28 PM
great flight shot and nice eye contact ..... and I agree with the others .... it would be worth tyring out those suggestions

Kiran Poonacha
11-09-2009, 06:55 AM
the natural setting adds well, to this hunt like in coming flight pose... loved the details and eye contact here, congrats..