PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra Slow Water

Jay Gould
11-08-2009, 07:45 AM
First Singh Ray Vari-ND usage - what a fun filter!

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 11 Oct 09; mid-day
Light condition: overcast
Lens: 24-105 f/4
Focal length: 55mm
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no;
ISO: 400
Exp Prog: Manual
Speed: 25 sec
Aperture: f/22
Exp Comp: 0
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One Shot
Tripod: no
Filter: SR Vari-ND 8 stops
Crop: none
All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Roman Kurywczak
11-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Hey Jay,
I see you had some fun with one of my favorite filters!
I like the way you composed the image with the stream leading us through the scene. By now you have realized that the shapes formed by the slow SS makes for some strong compositional elements and you placed them nicely in the frame.
I only have 2 PP'ing tweaks to recommend.....tone down the brightest rock a bit and then punch up the fall colors a bit to give it some pop. These tweaks will take this up another notch.
Have fun with the ND toy.....it can be addictive!

Fabs Forns
11-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Jay, this is gorgeous and it's really going to shine with Roman's tips.
Great to see you are also using the funky filter :)

Robert Amoruso
11-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Nice work Jay and good tips from Roman. This would look entirely different at 15 sec so don't forget to experiment.

Dave Mills
11-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi Jay, I like the fact that you positioned yourself with the stream coming directly at you. There is also a pleasing sikiness to the water due to the long shutterspeed. I'm usually not a big fan of that but in this case it works for me. Agree about the toning down of the bright rock in the backround and punching up the color in the foliage...

Trevor Hughes
11-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Very strong lead-in lines with the river and the blurring adds good fg interest. :)

Gerald_Gilligan
11-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Hey Jay,
This is one of my favorite locations going to Lake Sabrina...It looks like you made it there past peak like I did this year...I have taken several images from this location over the past few years, and always from above....Last year, I moved my tripod to water level and the composition really improved for me...I'm not sure if you were above or at water level...I have not ever played with an 8 stop ND filter but can see that it has many creative possibilities.
I like your image but feel that maybe a slight curves adjustment might bring some pop to the rocks....Sorry that we did not meet up while you were here, but I hope that you had a great trip !

Jerry

denise ippolito
11-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Jay, Really nicely done! A beauty!! I like the silky soft water and the composition. Nicely done.

Jack Graham
11-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Jay,
Viveza will tone down that rock perfectly! I knew you nailed this one!
JG

Jack Graham
11-14-2009, 12:53 PM
PS_-Roman---I grew up in New Milford---small world--Do you do any business with Bergen Co. Camera in Westwood... both Bob & Tom Gramegna( owners) are dear friends.
Love your work.--COME TO OREGON!!
JG( jack@jackgrahamphoto.com)