PDA

View Full Version : Sharp-shinned Hawk

James Salywoda
11-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Sharp-shinned Hawk
SoCal

Well I was pleased to add this species to my files as I have never photographed this small Hawk before.
I started to photoshop some of its habitat from the picture (clone Job) but decided on leaving the one branch on the left side because I felt it helped to balance out some of the smaller supporting branches.
Well I'm curious to some other opinions on this does look alright or should I take it out.:) I also feel it gives a good sense to the environment these birds live in....:cool:

Nikon D300S AFS600 F4

Thanks For Looking

Jim

Doug Brown
11-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Great look-back pose with nice DOF on the bird Jim. I don't mind the vertical branch but I'd probably lighten it a bit. I'm still thinking about this coming weekend.

denise ippolito
11-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Really nice pose and details. I love the BG and agree w/ Doug to maybe lighten the one branch. Nice image to have in your files! Congrats!!

Raul Quinones
11-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Awesome picture and beautiful bird. As mentioned, I love the pose, but also I like the perch, lighting, and details. The background does not bother me.

david cramer
11-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Beautiful capture. I find that branch very distracting.

Tony Whitehead
11-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Lovely look back pose and sharpness with limited DOF really showing off the bird well. Agree with Doug's suggestion re lightening the branch - I don't mid it's presence but find the contrast as it stands pulling my eye away form the bird. It may be an option to remove it as there are enough paler branches in the BG to still give a sense of habitat.

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Very nice raptor and look back pose.
I find the branch on BG a bit distracting and I guess that would not be a hard thing to fix in PS if you are not against such things.

Harshad Barve
11-07-2009, 11:00 PM
what a beautiful raptor , lovely details and exposure , I liked it very much as posted
TFS

Bonnie Block
11-07-2009, 11:03 PM
This is a beautiful image--love the softcolors and the details. Imight lighten the limb a bit--but it does not bother me too much as is.

scott benson
11-08-2009, 03:59 AM
very nice shot, well caught.

Raymond Barlow
11-08-2009, 07:01 AM
I would say clone away bro, superb shot either way!

Michael Zajac
11-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Fantastic raptor image w/ great looking details. I'd clone or lighten the branch-either way it's a winner!

Brian Barcelos
11-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Great job on the Sharpie James. Look at that eye, simply amazing. I wouldn't change a thing because nothing here is powerful enough to compete with her. Congrats

Stu Bowie
11-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Super pose James, and just love that eye. I find the branch distracting, and could see this as a vertical too.

Glenda Simmons
11-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Very nice image of this hawk. With or without the little branch would work. It does draw the eye away, a bit, but this great looking bird, the eyeballs pop right back to it.

Matt Vosniak
11-09-2009, 12:04 AM
James, this is quite a nice capture. I was discussing your dilemma earlier in the day with my son concerning an image I got today and my feeling was nature as a rule is never really perfect and that branch in your shot is what was there so I say leave it in. It is a true representation of what you saw. Congrats on adding this one to your files!!

arash_hazeghi
11-09-2009, 03:35 AM
Very beautiful James, love the head turn and BG.

Kiran Poonacha
11-09-2009, 06:53 AM
Wow, James Bhai, just loved this raptor, nice HA, details and BG you have here... congrats..

James Salywoda
11-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks All for the nice words and excellent opinions on this shot it was one of those situations were you either take the shot or miss the oppt. the main thing to me was the bird was in the clear and I got the shot.
Thanks again for the great advice as always.;)