PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountains Stream

Mike Landwehr
11-07-2009, 07:01 PM
The GSMNP provides so many opportunities to photograph streams and fast water! This is a late afternoon shot, full frame, with minor adjustments. All C&C welcome. I'm here to learn.

Canon 10D
Sigma 12-24mm @19mm
ISO 100
.3 sec
f/22

Dave Mills
11-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi Mike, I like you basic comp which appears you got low and in a good position in the stream. The light is even and the .3 sec gave you some nice, soft detail in the water. For my taste I might crop about half off the bright area on top.

Trevor Hughes
11-08-2009, 03:55 AM
I think the composition is very good, with the river leading the eye nicely into the scene. :)
Its always difficult to control the blurring when the pace of the flow varies a lot, as in this instance. Lots of fine detail in the majority of the river, but I feel that the burnt out area at the bottom is a bit distracting.

Roman Kurywczak
11-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Hey Mike,
I'm OK with the chosen SS and as mentioned above the river does lead nicely through the scene and distant trees. I was going to recommend the same thing as Dave with the crop but you can also due a B/C (brightness /contrast) layer.....knocking down the brightness just up there. I would also punch up the greens a touch....just be careful not to overdo it. Compositionally, you handled this well the little tweaks will take this up another notch.

Fabs Forns
11-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Very nicely composed and good choice of s/s. Agree with the guys to darken the top some.

Robert Amoruso
11-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Mike,

I agree with my colleagues and second darkening the top.

Mike Landwehr
11-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'm going to incorporate them into my final adjustments to the image.