PDA

View Full Version : Let's not discuss diet

Betsie Storm
11-07-2009, 05:53 PM
I thought this snarly lady will make a good companion for the relaxed asiatic lion. Found her early one morning under a bush, next to the road, in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, Dec 2008. She was framed by the thorn bush, busily tearing up a springbuck carcass, I guess from the previous night's kill. Her face is still red with blood. I cropped fairly tight to eliminate distracting vegetation and had to tone foregroud greenery down, as well as blur FG & BG somewhat to avoid more distraction. Quite a lot of PS for me :)(I prefer as little as possible) but I like this image so spent the time on cleanup.
EXIF
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
Date/Time: 2008:12:31 08:15:20
Shutter speed: 1/500 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: Continuous
ISO: 800
Lens: EF500mm f/4.5L USM
Focal length: 500mm
Support: BLUBB & panning ground pod + car window

Danny J Brown
11-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Hi Betsie: We have a winner here! I always know I love a photo when it makes me chuckle even when no one is around. The eyes are a beautiful, copper color on my screen - brilliant. The look is fantastic, and I can smell her through my screen. Thank you.

DanWalters
11-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Nice image. Like the detail and the eyes. She is really concentrating on her meal!

Marc Mol
11-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Very nice image Betsy, agree with Danny as well the eye is intense with a very unusual coppery color.
She's full of concentration, well portrayed.

Harshad Barve
11-07-2009, 08:58 PM
what a amazing shot , eyes cant get better than this
TFS

Alfred Forns
11-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Love the image Betsie ... with all the work you had to do might as well darken the corners slightly to draw viewers right to the face btw on the film days it was standard procedure to burn the corners a bit !!!

Excellent capture !!!

Stu Bowie
11-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Hey Betsie, the blood on the face shows Africa as it is. Well timed to capture her tearing at her kill, and I like how the LLC foliage frames her. Great sighting, and well captured.

Steve Canuel
11-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Love the concentration to get those last tasty bits off the bone. Agree with Stuart on the foilage frame. Also like Alfred's suggestion on the corners.

Morkel Erasmus
11-08-2009, 02:51 AM
lovely shot Betsie - I love the eyes and intensity. I agree with Alfred, darkening the corners will lift this even more. I normally use filter>>distortion>>lens correction and apply a vignette to my liking.

kostas nianiopoulos
11-08-2009, 05:24 AM
look verry hungry , this is an amazing image , well done .

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Great captured moment Betsie and I love the wrinkled nose and the wonderful eye contact. Superb detail !!! Many thanks for sharing.

Betsie Storm
11-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Thanks everyone for kind comments & suggestions; Alfred, thanks for the corners thing- never got involved in actual film processing/printing from film, lived with what the lab did, so its great advice; thanks Morkel for the digital equivalent, saves me scrapping around the menus to find it.

David Fletcher
11-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Fabulous image Betsie. Pure Africa!!!! Brilliant, and love those eyes.

Hendri Venter
11-10-2009, 04:36 AM
This is a very powerfull image Betsie. Well done on capturing this moment.