PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! Brian Piccola Park (owls) and Long Key Florida, good?

Richard Peters
11-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone, I've just arrived in Miami yesterday and am here until 16th Nov. Usually when I'm in Florida I am further north around West Palm Beach. However being unfamiliar with the Miami surrundin areas I was wondering if anyone can tell me if Brian Piccolo Park and Long Key Nature Centre are any good at the moment?

I have seen pictures of the owls at Brian Piccolo taken in July and wondered if they are still there?

Also, might head down towards the Flamino Visitor Centre in the Everglades if anthing is going on around that area? I usually do around the Shark Valley area when I do hit the Everglades so fancied trying a diferent area.

Any quick advice welcomed as I don't have long :)

Fabs Forns
11-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Richard, I don't know hoe Brian Piccolo is, but Wakodahatchee Wetlands, in South Pam Beach County was pretty busy last weekends, GBH nesting, Snowys and Tricolored Herons fishing and so forth.
Not sure about Everglades just yet, water levels are still high. Long Key may be busy at roosting time.
Good luck!

Richard Peters
11-07-2009, 03:14 PM
I've done Wako a few times, it's quite far from where I am though now so was looking for somthing a) new and b) closer. Speaking of which, I'm in Coral Gables too...! On Aragon Avenue by the Miracle Mile strip :)

Judd Patterson
11-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Everglades National Park is not extremely active yet...but there are some options. I know of at least one Osprey nest being built down by Flamingo and sometimes Eco Pond has spoonbills and others at sunrise/sunset, but not in high numbers (prepare for some mosquitoes). Anhinga Trail is a little slow, but there are tons of vultures and Green Herons...and I've spotted some American Bittern recently too. Enjoy your stay!

Harold Davis
11-07-2009, 06:54 PM
due to budget coutbacks, long key will be closing earlier than normal. better check it out before you head over, but i think it is closing at 4PM. and you cant even walk in! :(

Harold Davis
11-07-2009, 06:55 PM
actually the website says it's open from 9-5. closed on tuesdays and wednesdays.

Richard Peters
11-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the replies all :)

Everglades National Park is not extremely active yet...but there are some options. I know of at least one Osprey nest being built down by Flamingo and sometimes Eco Pond has spoonbills and others at sunrise/sunset, but not in high numbers (prepare for some mosquitoes). Anhinga Trail is a little slow, but there are tons of vultures and Green Herons...and I've spotted some American Bittern recently too. Enjoy your stay!
I may venture over towards Flamingo tue or thurs as I've never been there before. Although it depends on this wind, which is a bit of a killer!

Nice to have almost met you yesterday lol. If I'd have seen your post before I headed out I would have know it was you :D