PDA

View Full Version : Bowing to the Audience

Nicki Gwynn Jones
11-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi Everyone!
Here is another image from my trip to Nickerson with Artie last August.
Canon 50D 500 f/4 + 1.4 TC
f/5.6 1/1600
ISO 400
I was trying for a very washed-out, ethereal, painterly look ...:D
Your comments and critiques are very much appreciated.
Best regards to all,
Nicki
:)

Axel Hildebrandt
11-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I like the composition, angle and pose. The high-key exposure is interesting but I would probably take the midtones down a tad.

Jim Fenton
11-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Hi Nicki...

Is the beach substrate really that white at Nickerson? (never been there).

I understand what you were trying to do here, but it looks a bit too sorta washed out. I agree with Axel that the midtones should be dropped a bit.

denise ippolito
11-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Nicki, I think you achieved the look you were after and I like it. It appeals to the artistic side of me. I love the pose and the BG.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
11-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi Axel, Jim and Denise and thank you so much for your comments.
Jim, I went back to the raw file to check the colour of the sand and it doesn't look too different. I did clean it up a bit with the patch tool just to smooth it out. I do remember it as being very white!
Axel, my only concern with taking down the mid tones is that I might lose the soft look that I was after.
BTW, this looks great printed on high quality watercolour type paper - I suspect that it does not look its best as a projected image!
Best regards,
Nicki

Phil Ertel
11-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi Nicki, I like this image. Lets see you said you were trying to produce an image that was: very washed-out, ethereal, painterly look (Washout-Check: Ethereal-Check: Painterly look-Check). Combined with a pleasing composition and pose it is my opinion that you achieved your goals and produced a pleasing image. My only suggestion is that for a Web presentation that you place a thin black border on the image so the edge doesn't get lost on the sites white back ground. Thanks for sharing.

Harshad Barve
11-07-2009, 10:41 PM
lovely pose and killer BG
TFS

Nicki Gwynn Jones
11-08-2009, 05:22 AM
Thank you Phil and Harshad - mission accomplished!!
Best,
Nicki

Kiran Poonacha
11-09-2009, 08:27 AM
loved the paintimg effect here... great expo.. congrats..