Chris Hansen
11-07-2009, 01:53 AM
A Fallow deer.

Canon 50D
Canon 100-400 IS @ 375mm
ISO 400
1/100sec @ F 5.6
Weather conditions drizzling rain.

This deer is one of the descendants from the herd of Randolf Hearst at San Simeon in California. Charles Howard the owner of the racehorse Sea Biscuit purchased fifty of the deer from Hearst for ten dollars a piece in the 1950s. They were trucked to the Ridgewood ranch in Northern California and released where a small population continues to live to this day.

God bless,

chris

David Fletcher
11-07-2009, 05:06 AM
Wow! A White Hart! (UK name for a White Fallow, oft used in pub signs, so I know, :D). Whilst that is true, I grew up in the country and was stalking them at age 7. :). Nice shot and like the look back. Thanks for sharing and the information too.

Danny J Brown
11-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Hi Chris: This is a sweet shot the way the deer is looking back from the corridor between the two diagonal vegetation lines. It looks like the sun was starting to give you fits on the animals back. What a nice rack on that beast, by the way.

Alfred Forns
11-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Lovely image Chris Just wish you had the animal on the opposite side of the frame !!! Exposure wise is a tough animal with the light fur !!! Might want to compensate another third under !!!

Processing wise would desaturate the greens just a bit !!! Excellent image !!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Agree with the above comments but love the pose in this image and your excellent timing. Great find for sure ! Congratulations Chris.

Steve Canuel
11-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Hi Chris,
Neat looking deer. I like the look back and the security of the brush covered gully into which his headed. The habitat in this shot brought back memories of the hiking I used to do in the foothills outside of Sacramento when I was a kid.