PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Sunrise #2

Jay Gould
11-06-2009, 06:41 PM
James and I started early each day. I am now experimenting with Pixel Genius Sharpener - first application applying capture sharpener and output sharpener - I like it and certainly saw the difference in the before/after images. Most PP was done in LR 2.5 64 bit; some in CS4 32bit.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 30 Sept 09; early am
Light condition: sunrise
Lens: 24-105 f/4
Focal length: 105mm
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no;
ISO: 200
Exp Prog: Manual
Speed: 1/320 sec
Aperture: f/10
Exp Comp: 0
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One Shot
Tripod: no
Filter: 3 stop Singh Ray RGND
Crop: From 5616x3744 to 4860x2858

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Roman Kurywczak
11-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Hey Jay,
I see the journey continues! You placed the sun nicely in the frame and the colors look pretty good......the yellows may be blown slightly but an easy pull back in PP'ing. I feel the sandbar? is a bit too different in texture to work well in the water so I may go with a crop to eliminate it entirely. I will offer you a suggestion for the future for you to explore.....at f22 and ISO 100....that would have dropped you to a SS of around 1/30 sec......why go slower?....because longer SS's tend to smooth out choopy water.....using the vari ND along with the revese grad would have smoother the water even further less choppy look. Just something to keep in mind as you had no moving FG objects to worry about......won't work with boats and such well....but crashing waves and stationary FG objects.....very effective. Keep up the good work and try experimenting with those longer SS's!

Dave Mills
11-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi Jay, Agree with Roman's comments. I cropped the water above the sandbar and it works well accentuating the beautiful sky. Wonderful colors and good placement of sun...

Jay Gould
11-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Hi Guys, thanks for the comments. Roman, agee with the slower SS; however, in this case I was HH aboard James' boat. Will definitely experiment with slow water. Next one will be the first Vari-ND images just for you! Cheers,

Roman Kurywczak
11-08-2009, 09:38 AM
HH will definitely put a damper on the slow SS......although interesting abstracts can be made! Fabs is the queen of this!

Morkel Erasmus
11-08-2009, 12:44 PM
lovely tones and simplistic composition Jay! some good points raised above...