PDA

View Full Version : Anna's Hummingbird at the water feature

Dan Brown
11-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Capture made at my backyard water feature. Cropped (40%), PPed in ACR and CS3, noise reduced wth Noise Ninja. C&C welcome.

Camera Model: NIKON D300, handheld
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: On, TTL fill, -2.0
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 800
Lens: 80 to 400mm
Focal length: 400mm
Focal length: 600mm (in 35mm film)

Danny J Brown
11-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi Dan Brown: There is something I don't see very often - a hummingbird getting ready to take a bath. I love the deep magenta on the little guy but what do I know as I'm red/green color blind. That statement will probably come back to haunt me on BPN. We usuallly only have ruby-throated hummers in St. Louis with the occasional stray. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Stu Bowie
11-06-2009, 10:26 AM
What amazing colours Dan. I can see this as a vertical too. Could you have got any lower to reduce the angle.

denise ippolito
11-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Dan, I love the pose and the cute little look back. I might take a bit off the bottom and a bit off the left-leaving enough room to inc. the leaf.Beautiful colors.

Doug Brown
11-06-2009, 01:18 PM
You caught the pink iridescence nicely Dan. I too would like to see a slightly lower shooting angle. I'd go with a slightly tighter crop.

I just gave a talk on Costa Rica at the camera club last night, and I featured images from Tom, Gary, and Keith, all of whom are members. We had dinner together before the meeting. Sure did bring back memories!

Dan Brown
11-06-2009, 04:00 PM
You caught the pink iridescence nicely Dan. I too would like to see a slightly lower shooting angle. I'd go with a slightly tighter crop.

I just gave a talk on Costa Rica at the camera club last night, and I featured images from Tom, Gary, and Keith, all of whom are members. We had dinner together before the meeting. Sure did bring back memories!

Thanks all! Doug, no, I can't really get any lower. I am about 4 feet above this guy. I am planning to raise the bath which might help but I don't think I can raise it much.

The reunion would really have been fun!! That trip will be a highlight for me for life! I have recently lost my job of 35 years, so I may be stuck shooting out my kitchen window for a while:o

Doug Brown
11-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Sorry to hear about the work situation Dan. Good luck finding a new job!

Chris Hansen
11-07-2009, 01:40 AM
Dan,

When you posted your pics of your water feature I was wondering if it attracts hummers with all that flay shallow water. now you just proved to me it does. nice capture. I like the leaf in the image.

Good luck with the job search.

God bless,

chris

scott benson
11-07-2009, 06:04 AM
cracking shot, well caught.

denise ippolito
11-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Dan, Good luck in your job search-sorry to hear. The economy has affected us all.

Dan Brown
11-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks Doug and Denise for your kind words! They say that when one door closes, another opens! I am hoping that the open door will have something to do with photography! I have a great opportunity (and a whole lot of free time right now), maybe I will be able to market some images?!:o:confused::)