PDA

View Full Version : Hover Fly

Colin Driscoll
11-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Hi folks, I thought I would join the macro group with a shot from last year. A grumpy looking Hover Fly!

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/MyPikkies/Insects%20and%20other%20crawlies/HoverFly270708_.jpg

Panasonic FZ18 Raynox 250 f8 1/160 -.33 iso100 diffuse flash tripod and stage.

Nick Palmieri
11-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Really awesome...perhaps toning down the bright spots in the lower RH corner would strengthen it, but I think the eye is still pulled to the main subject...very cool image.

Julie Kenward
11-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Wow, you came in with a bang! Look at those hairs on his chinny chin chin! I also agree that toning down the brightness in the LL side would help a little but not all the way - I like the difference in the deep green and the smooth transition to the lighter area. That fly is nothing short of amazing...great job! I really love the angle of the body and legs in this - it really adds depth and dimension.

Christopher Miller
11-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Welcome to the macro forum, Colin, and wonderful closeup! Amazing detail on the fly's face. Love the head-on pose. Agree with Nick and Julie on toning down a few areas. Very well done!

PS. Just noticed that you took this with a bridge camera. I use a bridge camera too(Olympus SP-550 UZ). They can sure take some impressive macros!

Mike Moats
11-07-2009, 05:15 AM
Hey Colin, welcome to BPN's macro gallery. Very cool first post here. Love this guy's expression, he does look grumpy, and looks like giant tears coming out of his eyes. Maybe he just lost his girl friend:D Good details and BG, agree with other on toning down the hot spots. Keep em coming.

Colin Driscoll
11-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the comments!

....Just noticed that you took this with a bridge camera. I use a bridge camera too(Olympus SP-550 UZ). They can sure take some impressive macros!

Actually I had been reluctant to post because most of my macro shots are from the FZ18 or 28. I have only recently gotten a DSLR including macro & tubes and not yet built a collection from that camera.