PDA

View Full Version : Female Leopard, 42 months

philperry
11-05-2009, 11:18 AM
This is a photo of one of my favourite leopards. During the four years I frequently visited the Western sector of Sabi Sands I got to know all the local leopards very well. This is a female called Mambhirri, which means 'two' in the local Tsongaan language, as she has two spots just above the whisker line on each side of her face. These spots are used by the rangers to identify individual leopards. In this picture she is 42 months old and looking splendid. I can actually claim to have known this leopard since inception as I watched her parents, Wallys and Makwela mating around 3.5 months before she and her two sisters were born. All three siblings were raised to adulthood by Makwela, one of Sabi Sands' most legendary leopard mothers. Today Mambhirri is herself a mother and continues to live on part of her mother's former territory. Sadly Makwela died earlier this year.

Technical Details:

Canon EOS 1D Mk II ; EOS EF 100-400mm zoom @ 400mm
1/400th ; f7 ; ISO 320 ; Hand Held

David Fletcher
11-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Cracking good shot Phil. Thank you for the background information too. Very nicely done.

Danny J Brown
11-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi Phil: Thanks for the great shot and the story about the beast. The thing I really like about this photo is that it is buttery smooth and I'm not just talking about the background. The leopard is sharp, but you've limited the contrast so I can almost feel its coat. Thanks for a great shot.

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Wonderful image Phil and I truly appreciated hearing all the background history. Leopards have been a long time favorite of mine. Their eyes are so incredibly beautiful and the first time I say one I was in awe of their beauty. what a privilege for you Phil to have been able to follow her progress for the past four years. Will be anxious to see her babies and sorry to hear of her mothers passing. Many thanks for sharing. Love it

Marc Mol
11-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Very nice Leopard portrait Phil, sharp with good BG.
I got to know Makwela quite well also on my two trips to the SSGR (Leopard Hills) over the last 5 years and have some lasting memories & images of her, she be sadly missed.

Harshad Barve
11-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Fabulous image , lovely compo and details
she looks very concentrated
Thanks a ton for info
TFS

Steve Canuel
11-05-2009, 10:33 PM
I like the gazing off in the distance look and the light in the near eye.

Stu Bowie
11-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Phil, thanks for sharing the story. Yes, Sabi has a lot of well known leopards in various sectors, all with wonderful stories of their own. I like the angled portrait here, and you have exposed the colours very well. I would maybe tone the BG a tad. Great sighting and well captured.

Betsie Storm
11-06-2009, 01:50 AM
Phil, beautiful portrait, ditto on the furry "feel" to the coat and great eyes. Personally I would consider toning down the bright BG to the left - just a little. Thanks for sharing the story. Now to save up for SSands...

philperry
11-06-2009, 03:01 AM
Thanks so much everyone for your supportive comments. I have not been 'leoparding' for a while now - but they remain my favourite animals. They are just special somehow.

Its great to know that you knew Makwela Marc. I mostly stayed at Dulini and she was ever-present and always fun to watch and such a good mother, raising lots of cubs. Her partner Wallys must now be nearing his end - having ruled Western S.Sands for an incredibly long time, some 10 years.

Danny Laredo
11-06-2009, 04:04 AM
Phil, sweet Leopard image indeed.
The story you told makes this image for me.

Clement Francis
11-06-2009, 08:08 AM
I love leopards, this is just a mind blowing closeup of that beauty, may she live for a long long time

Roger Clark
11-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Phil,
Beautiful image. I love the soft light and smooth background.

Roger

Sabyasachi Patra
11-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Phil,
I like this image and the story helps in developing a kinship with it. I agree with Judy. The eyes of leopards are so beautiful. It must have been a hugely enriching experience watching these leopards from a short distance. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sabyasachi Patra
11-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Phil,
I like this image and the story helps in developing a kinship with it. I agree with Judy. The eyes of leopards are so beautiful. It must have been a hugely enriching experience watching these leopards from a short distance. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Morkel Erasmus
11-07-2009, 09:22 AM
thanks for the story Phil. this is as good a leopard portrait I've seen! lovely light, details, exposure and stare from her side.

philperry
11-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks for all the great comments. I am particularly pleased that the background story was well received. I strongly feel that wildlife parks and rangers can do a lot more good for conservation if they tell people more about individual animals. It is so much easier to relate to an animal if you are able to learn about its background and its life so far.