PDA

View Full Version : Two buddies

arash_hazeghi
11-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Not my favorite subject but needed a break from raptors :D
Two Canvasbacks flying off to their weekend retreat.

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/birds/duck%20low.jpg

7D +400 f/4 DO 1/1600sec f/6.3 ISO 400 sw: DPP 3.7

BTW, my new flight gallery (http://ari1982.smugmug.com/Animals/Avian/10191557_hsE3k/1/701906439_auVoh) is up, all comments welcomed and appreciated.

Harshad Barve
11-05-2009, 07:19 AM
beautiful image Arash
Lovely position of both birds , techs spot on , water droplets adding here
I liked that two tone BG
TFS

ps, you have some rocking images in flight gallery

Kiran Poonacha
11-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Loved the way the birds pop out here, light, details and pose.. congrats..

Stu Bowie
11-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Excellent capture Arash - you nailed these two. Both pin sharp, and Im glad the BG is not intersecting them. I like this lots. Well done. ( have you sorted your focussing issues with the 7D, and how was the sequence of 8fps? )

arash_hazeghi
11-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Excellent capture Arash - you nailed these two. Both pin sharp, and Im glad the BG is not intersecting them. I like this lots. Well done. ( have you sorted your focussing issues with the 7D, and how was the sequence of 8fps? )

Thanks Stuart for nice comments!

I still stand by my earlier comments about 7D AF, I have developed a technique for battling the BG lock issue which is a combination of manual focusing and using the ring of fire on the lens to instantly change tracking priority (with short-barrel lenses like 400 DO you can use your index finger to press the ring of fire button(s) while rotating the manual focus ring with your thumb). the sequence above was 6 frames 5 of which are sharp but the ducks are easy grab compared to raptors, they fly in a straight line and panning horizontally at 30-40 yards the focuses distance and the tangent of the tracking angle do not change by much, harriers and kestrels are still a huge challenge for the AF.

Best,

James Salywoda
11-05-2009, 09:16 AM
So Sweet Arash your technique worked here as this is a beauty a shot I wished was mine two Canvasbacks in flight... Well Done!

Stu Bowie
11-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Arash, thanks for the feedback. I would love to have a 7D in my hand to see what you guys mean regarding all the focussing issues. Back to this image, Im going to tell you again - both nailed spot on.

Danny J Brown
11-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Arash - Ducks may not be your favorite but I love them and I especially love canvasbacks with their noble forehead continuing into their bill on a flat line. This is the canvasback shot that I've wanted for years but even seeing one on the Missouri River where I look for ducks is a good day. I hadn't noticed many shots of yours with the 400DO. Ultimately, I think I'll have to switch to that lens from the 500 F4 when my shoulder finally gives out. Thanks again for the canvasbacks.

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Arash, beautiful image. The fact that both are sharp and in focus....the water droplets. excellent work. I bought a 400 f/5.6 yesterday and spent some practicing shooting ducks today and yesterday. Appreciation of your work has increased ten times :-)

KD

Axel Hildebrandt
11-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I like the similar wing position, light and BG and would only tone down the whites of the bird on the left.

arash_hazeghi
11-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Arash - Ducks may not be your favorite but I love them and I especially love canvasbacks with their noble forehead continuing into their bill on a flat line. This is the canvasback shot that I've wanted for years but even seeing one on the Missouri River where I look for ducks is a good day. I hadn't noticed many shots of yours with the 400DO. Ultimately, I think I'll have to switch to that lens from the 500 F4 when my shoulder finally gives out. Thanks again for the canvasbacks.

Thanks Danny,
I really like to be mobile in the field and 400 DO is an excellent hand hold lens.

denise ippolito
11-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Arash, Beautiful details and BG. Agree w/ slight toning down. The water drops add alot to the image. Really nice flight gallery images!

Simon Bennett
11-05-2009, 09:56 PM
So sharp and love the droplets.