PDA

View Full Version : Canon 500mm F4 Hood Fixing

Ken Watkins
11-05-2009, 01:57 AM
I have a problem that is all too commonplace the "nut" that attaches the lens hood has fallen off and is lost.

I have the Canon part number CY1-4292, but can find nobody who can supply it.

Does anyone out there know anybody who can help me out either in US or UK or anywhere else for that matter?

Norm Dulak
11-05-2009, 06:02 AM
Ken:

If you Google the part number you'll find a lot of discussions of the problem of replacing the part, which appears to be a significant profit center for Canon. Here's one link: http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122191. Hopefully this might lead to a thread that can help.

Norm Dulak

Ken Watkins
11-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Hi Norm,

Thanks for that it seems that my problem is not unique.
I hope somebody else has something further.

Don Lacy
11-05-2009, 09:08 AM
It cost me a 100.00 to fix that nut when it came off my jaw hit the ground when I got the bill from the camera shop.

Norm Dulak
11-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Ken:

There is a Canon National Parts Center in the U.S. that can be reached by phone at 1-732-521-7230. I just called them and learned that the part you need is available for $75.92 plus tax and shipping. They only ship, however, to U.S. addresses.

When I told them you were in South Africa, they gave me the following number for you to call there: 27 11 265 4900. I was told that the address in South Africa for this phone number is 820 16th Road, Halfway House 1685.

They also gave me a toll free number: 0800 21 21 2250, which is for Camera Tech, which also may be able to help you.

Good luck!

Norm Dulak

Ken Watkins
11-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Norm,

Thanks for the info, I will call Canon in the morning.

Cheers

Ken

Danny J Brown
11-05-2009, 11:29 AM
$75.00 for a nut. Hmmm.... Maybe I could sell you mine for $50.00 and I'll use duct tape. This reminds me of the $3000 toilet seats that the U.S. Government was caught purchasing. Well, it could be worse, you could be buying a nut for a Nikon lens!!!

Norm Dulak
11-05-2009, 11:46 AM
$75.00 for a nut. Hmmm.... Maybe I could sell you mine for $50.00 and I'll use duct tape. This reminds me of the $3000 toilet seats that the U.S. Government was caught purchasing. Well, it could be worse, you could be buying a nut for a Nikon lens!!!

Danny:

Of course , except for the inane comment regarding a quality Nikon product:), you are absolutely correct.

It reminds me of the time when I lost a rubber foot pad on the end of a Gitzo tripod, while hiking Pipeline Road in Panama. Replacement part cost is frequently obscene. But duct tape on the end of my tripod and a cheap fix to a valuable lens won't feed the bulldog.

We are at the manufacturers' mercy, aren't we? And the bald fact is that they have little mercy for us!

Norm Dulak

Danny J Brown
11-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Norm: My comment about the Nikon nut wasn't meant to be inane. I love Nikon and I'm still trying to get used to Canon gear. I meant that the nut would probably cost even more if it came from a Nikon 500 hood.

Norm Dulak
11-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Norm: My comment about the Nikon nut wasn't meant to be inane. I love Nikon and I'm still trying to get used to Canon gear. I meant that the nut would probably cost even more if it came from a Nikon 500 hood.

Danny:

I'm not sure that the Nikon part would be more costly, so I wouldn't make that assumption unless I had some facts.

I suppose that jocular discourse between Canon and Nikon users is to be expected, and I had hoped that my use of the "happy face" icon would show that there was no malevolent intent on my part.

But in concluding, I wonder why if you love Nikon, you are now trying to get used to Canon gear!:)

Norm Dulak

Jim Buescher
11-05-2009, 01:12 PM
You could just replace the entire hood, that will only cost you $790:)

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=154&modelid=7318#SNAModelSuppliesAct

Danny J Brown
11-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Because years ago as I started making the transition to pro gear, I ran into the giant brick wall of Nikon prices and had to switch to Canon with the ugly white lenses, etc. This continues today as the Canon 500F4 is $6400 at B & H Photo and the Nikon 500F4 is $8349. A safe assumption without too much scientific research would be that a Nikon nut probably costs more. Again, I wasn't even trying to be jocular or I would have used a :). There are a lot of places other than BPN to get into the awful, worn out conversations about Nikon vs Canon. But it is not a matter of opinion that Nikon gear is more expensive.

Norm - I've followed your posts for a while on this website and have developed some respect for the intelligence you have conveyed. I'm really sorry we had to get into this conversation based on a typical "email communication" related misunderstanding. It is always frustrating to convey tone on email with or without icons. This will be the last you'll hear from me about hood screws but I look forward to communicating with you on a myriad of other topics.

Take Care.

Danny

Rob Miner
11-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Ken, This maybe off key, but here goes. During my many journeys on the Internet I ran across a "how to" page that shows how how to make a replacement for a long lens hood with that neoprene material they use to make lens covers etc. The gentleman that came up with the idea liked the neoprene hood better than the hard plastic. I do not have the address for this, but it is a simple idea and beats the OME costs.

Rob..............

PS - I have the instructions if you/anyone is interested.

Norm Dulak
11-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Ken, This maybe off key, but here goes. During my many journeys on the Internet I ran across a "how to" page that shows how how to make a replacement for a long lens hood with that neoprene material they use to make lens covers etc. The gentleman that came up with the idea liked the neoprene hood better than the hard plastic. I do not have the address for this, but it is a simple idea and beats the OME costs.

Rob..............

PS - I have the instructions if you/anyone is interested.

Ken:

When you first mentioned your problem, I too thought about workarounds that could get you back into the field at a lower cost. But I didn't make any suggestions along those lines because I think there are advantages to keeping your valuable lens in its original condition.

In the future, you may well want to move up to a larger lens, perhaps even to Artie's beloved 800 mm. If you do and you reach a point where you no longer need your 500 mm lens, any purchaser of your present lens will likely expect it to be in its original condition.

So my advice to you is to bite the bullet, get the missing part from Canon, and enjoy your lens and the images you will capture with it.

Norm Dulak

Ken Watkins
11-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Norm and everybody else,

A little progress to report, I got a response from Canon UK, who pointed me in the direction of a repair companyin UK, they can supply it for Sterling 60, what a joke.
I have no option unless it is slightly cheaper in SA.
Next time I hope the little bits do not fall off when I am on a boat!

Ken Watkins
11-06-2009, 04:31 AM
Well I have suceeded in ordering from the UK at roughly $100, the price in Sa was even more $120.

Thanks to everybody for their kind assistance, I certainly hope it does not happen again, or if it does I do not loose the bits!

Norm Dulak
11-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Ken:

I feel your pain!

Norm Dulak