PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Moonlight

Fabs Forns
11-04-2009, 10:54 PM
For our friends up North suffering from "Early Snow Syndrome" , a balmy 83 degree South Beach night.

Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Lens (mm): 40
ISO: 400
Aperture: 10
Shutter: 13

Roger Clark
11-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Fabs,
I'm trying to understand the lighting in your image. I like the effect around the moon, but beyond that the image looks flat. The fence isn't casting a shadow and the trees seem to have shadows from something overhead. Could you please explain the lighting and processing?

Roger

Fabs Forns
11-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Fabs,
I'm trying to understand the lighting in your image. I like the effect around the moon, but beyond that the image looks flat. The fence isn't casting a shadow and the trees seem to have shadows from something overhead. Could you please explain the lighting and processing?

Roger

Not much to explain, full moon, one image, metered as not to burn the moon. Shadow from another palm tree. Main source of light are the hotels behind me, that's why fence has no shadow. Moon not bright enough to provide shadows on fence.
Processing just cropping for compo, resizing and sharpening for web and multiplying the patch around the moon.

Dave Mills
11-05-2009, 12:45 AM
Hi Fabs, You handled the sky very well! With your explanation I can understand how you got the lighting on the trees and fence. I feel the image carries the mood of moonlight along with it's softness. It's an interesting image which holds ones attention...

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Beautiful image Fab. Love the mood that is captured here and as mentioned the lovely soft feeling of this puts it over the top for me.

Roman Kurywczak
11-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Hey Fabs,
Now there's a first for me......painting with hotels!!! I like the way they lit the palms and provided some definition in the sand and fence.....really does look moon lit! Only recommendation is to try and eeek out at bit more in the whites of the outer clouds....but very well thought out and nicely composed!

PS You are not tempting this Jersey boy with 83 degrees yet......the smell of fall is still in the air here......in another 2 months, I'll be looking to warm up.....but this year, the Floridians are coming north!......so I will have to wait till march.

Trevor Hughes
11-07-2009, 03:35 AM
Well exposed and very atmospheric image. Could you send some of that warmth over here, please? Its down to 1 degree and the gritter has just gone past, de-icing the road!

Morkel Erasmus
11-07-2009, 11:19 AM
works well Fabs - nice soft lighting and enough detail up front to hold my eye...