PDA

View Full Version : Betty Dick Barn B&W - RMNP

Jared Gricoskie
11-04-2009, 09:27 PM
We all know Grand Teton has it's share of great historic barns, but Rocky has one of its own on the west side of the park in the Colorado River valley. This shot looked pretty blah until this evening when I started to play with some black and white options. Going with some Lightroom presents and then altering from there, the straight B&W just didn't pop, but the Antique Light creative preset made it really pop, especially the sky. With many shots around Estes Park showing this style and coloring I find it to be a good reproduction of the shots of that era. I have to say, this place almost has to be a B&W shot since nearly all the trees near the barn and on the mountains have been heavily impacted by the Mountain Pine Beetle.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2714/4076844508_02201212d1_o.jpg
D300, 18-55 kit, f10, 1/500th, ISO 200, tripod, cropped a bit from the top as the clouds were just dark and had no definition.

Fabs Forns
11-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Very interesting sepia conversion. Barn feels a little too cramped, having such gorgeous scenery around and it may need some CCW rotation?
Good looking two story builiding!

Dave Mills
11-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Hi Jared, I like the angry sky and the fact you cropped an uninteresting area off. Agree with Fabs regarding a bit more room around the barn and if this were mine possibly lightening the barn just a bit(not the roof) The sepia color works well with this type of image...

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Interesting image and I love the sky and the sepia look to this capture. I agree about the cropping and the slightly lightening of the barn.

Roman Kurywczak
11-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi Jared,
Can't add much to the advice above....but I do feel following those recommendations will help this and work very well. Bringing up the shadows some will make this shine.

Jared Gricoskie
11-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Here is a repost, on my original the barn isn't as dark, so I took it into photoshop and masked the barn to lighten back to what Lightroom showed it. I then took another shot that had more grass, and added canvas and gently burned the edge of that selection to make it look natural. Then rotated the shot just a degree CCW. Thats more of the shot I wish I took if I realized I was going to edit it this way. The original was just a test shot of the area to see if it had potential for my clients. The post I made was to test the processing effect.

Some noted the barn is cramped, on the left side is a large tree, some of which I took out of the left edge of the shot. Due to the height of the tree it overpowered the composition including it. To the right of the mountains in the background is nothing but dead trees without needles.

Dave Mills
11-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi Jared, Lightening the barn is an improvement. I understand why you can't add room on the left...

Trevor Hughes
11-07-2009, 04:24 AM
What a wonderful barn, so full of character!
I think your re-post is an improvement on an already very good image. Well processed too. :)