PDA

View Full Version : Oak Leaf

Christopher Miller
11-04-2009, 03:25 PM
In contrast with all my recent tritones, I decided to go with plain old B&W with just a faint hint of sepia for this photo. I debated whether or not to remove the partial leaf on top. What are your thoughts on it? Any C&C are welcome!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f4.5 1/50, ISO 100, -0.7 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering
Processed in PS CS2; slight crop, curves adjustment, channel mixer, added slight sepia tone using curves, and a little burning on the partial leaf

denise ippolito
11-04-2009, 03:29 PM
I like the B&W w/ a hint of sepia. I also like the partial leaf at the top-not sure why but it looks as though it is reaching into the frame to touch the other leaf. Has a nice softness to the image -yet the details are good.

Christopher Miller
11-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks, Denise, appreciate your input!

Trevor Hughes
11-07-2009, 05:25 AM
I agree with Denise, I think the partial leaf at the top is fine. Lovely texture to the leaf and well processed.
Nicely done.:)

Christopher Miller
11-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks, Trevor. My train of thought was that the partial leaf adds to the image, and I'm glad to have other people's confirmation of that. Thanks for commenting, and welcome to BPN!

Trevor Hughes
11-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks, Trevor. My train of thought was that the partial leaf adds to the image, and I'm glad to have other people's confirmation of that. Thanks for commenting, and welcome to BPN!

My pleasure Christopher and thanks for the welcome.

Ed Vatza
11-08-2009, 04:27 PM
I like the conversion a lot. The partial leaf at the top leaves me ambivalent. It doesn't bother me that it's there but it doesn't do anything for me either. There looks to be a hint of noise in the background.

Gus Cobos
11-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi Christopher,
I like the composition, image and capture...your main subject is balanced in frame. The top leaf acts as an anchoring point and contributes to the symmetry and natural flow of your subject. Well done...:cool:

Christopher Miller
11-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks Ed and Gus. Much appreciated!

Ed, initially I was uncertain about the partial leaf too so I tried cropping and cloning it out, but the image just didn't look right to me without it. Agree on the hint of noise, I'll be sure to hit it with some noise reduction.

Julie Kenward
11-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Hey Chris...I think the leaf might be too "unanchored" in the image without that other leaf up top so I vote for keeping it in. I think a softer, more blurred BG would add even more to this nice image.